seems only the dramatic thread titles get a reply - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
seems only the dramatic thread titles get a reply

man, what do you have to do round here to get some advice? My plants are falling apart, Ive posted in 3 different sectors - no response. How do I have to dress it up? Im not including the replies from DIY C02...thanks buddies for those.

Pediatric Psychiatrist/Child Therapist/ADHD Psychiatrist/Cognitive Hypnotherapist/Clinical Anxiety Consultant/Pediatriciac Physician.....If only plants and fish could chatter like children...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sometimes the right person just isn't online my friend. Its a forum, people aren't required to respond.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

of course...we all have a life outside. Just be nice to have a little advice sometimes without having to resort to posting a casualty.. Thanx though

Pediatric Psychiatrist/Child Therapist/ADHD Psychiatrist/Cognitive Hypnotherapist/Clinical Anxiety Consultant/Pediatriciac Physician.....If only plants and fish could chatter like children...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't respond unless I think I know something helpful...in this case I don't.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthings View Post
of course...we all have a life outside. Just be nice to have a little advice sometimes without having to resort to posting a casualty.. Thanx though
For sure.

I've been in the forum for a while and pereodically I don't get a response. So don't take anything personal. What problem are you having with your plants anyhow? Im a little new to plants so I may not know the problem, but I could try.

|
|

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Did you use proper grammar and spelling? Did you actually have a question(s)? Or did your post look like this: "i hav a problem w/my fish tnk. algee keeps comming back. wat do i do?"

I tend to stay away from threads were the OP doesn't have the courtesy to take 30 more seconds to make sure that their post is actually readable.

I am not accusing you of this, not at all! Just mentioning that that can contribute to a lack of responses (at least from me).

Also, I won't help someone who asks a "stupid" question. (Yes, those types of questions do exist). "How Do I Grow Plants?" "What is DIY CO2?" etc. If the answer could easily be found by 5 minutes of Googling, I usually wont help them out.

Just my 2 cents!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Oh, and don't be discouraged! It's nothing personal. I'll look around for your threads.... See if I can help out.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol...thankyou. Ive posted several times just requiring a little advice reguarding my broad leaf plants. They appear to have been shredded into skeletons, with only the veins remaining. I know the BNPs have to take some responsibility for this, but I fear Co2 is the main issue. I understand DIY CO2 but after consideration have determined it to be too inconsistent. Id like to invest in a pressurized CO2 system especially as the main 55gallon tank takes center stage in my surgery where many children with learning disabilties gather. Id like to be able to pass on some knowledge of sih and plants. My question really is simple. Can anyone suggest a good, reliable pressurized Co2 system that will be easy to set up and easy to maintain? Also, I am dosing EI for a 40-60G tank with 2 x 24w T5HO bulbs - plus adding extra Iron for the numerous Swords. I have found 2 deceased Neon Tetras, 3 deceased cherry barbs and 1 deceased Glass catfish today. Something isnt working and I wonder what that may be?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
How big is your tank? I don't think you have enough light for it if it is 40 - 60 gallons. As far as the dead fish do you do your weekly 50% water change?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
How big is your tank? I don't think you have enough light for it if it is 40 - 60 gallons. As far as the dead fish do you do your weekly 50% water change?
T5HO light is pretty bright....
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

as a pediatric psychiatrist, you should know that whining really does get you results faster....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It sometimes helps if you limit the number of distinct questions you ask at one time. If someone doesn't know the answer to the first one, they tend to immediately move on; or if they see a reply, they may assume it's answered all the questions rather than just one.

You have three questions in this thread:

1) Skeletonized swords. I don't know the answer to that one. Although it could indeed be a combination of the factors you've listed (high light, not enough CO2, plecos).

2) CO2. You can get adequately high and stable CO2 levels from DIY on a 30G high, but it takes multiple bottles, and you have to replace mixtures on schedule. Pressurized is easier once you get it set up. I pieced together my pressurized system from a variety of sources, so I can't recommend a simple, ready-to-use system. Regardless, you should immediately invest in a drop checker and 4KH solution, which tells you your CO2 level regardless of DIY or pressurized. Your current airstone diffuser is probably quite inefficient.

3) Dead fish. Do you have an ammonia and nitrite test kit to test for these toxins, which could accumulate if the biofilter isn't fully cycled, isn't working properly, or there's a dead fish rotting in a hidden location that produces more than the biofilter can handle? Are you using tapwater for water changes, and a dechlorinator that is effective against both chlorine and chloramine? Are fish showing any signs of disease, or unusual behavior, prior to death?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Isn't holes in the leaves a deficiency of K?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingthings View Post
lol...thankyou. Ive posted several times just requiring a little advice reguarding my broad leaf plants. They appear to have been shredded into skeletons, with only the veins remaining. I know the BNPs have to take some responsibility for this, but I fear Co2 is the main issue. I understand DIY CO2 but after consideration have determined it to be too inconsistent. Id like to invest in a pressurized CO2 system especially as the main 55gallon tank takes center stage in my surgery where many children with learning disabilties gather. Id like to be able to pass on some knowledge of sih and plants. My question really is simple. Can anyone suggest a good, reliable pressurized Co2 system that will be easy to set up and easy to maintain? Also, I am dosing EI for a 40-60G tank with 2 x 24w T5HO bulbs - plus adding extra Iron for the numerous Swords. I have found 2 deceased Neon Tetras, 3 deceased cherry barbs and 1 deceased Glass catfish today. Something isnt working and I wonder what that may be?
Pressurized Co2 -
get a 5lb aluminum tank (google search under shopping and look for the best deal)

Then get a regulator (I use the Milwaukee MA957, works perfect easy to setup and maintain been using them for years)

Those are your main components after that CO2 tubing and a diffuser/reactor your choice. Check out Green leaf aquariums for great deals on the above. One last point on the diffusers the new atomic diffusers are amazing. They create such a fine mist.

Hope this helps
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Also, I'd bet money that the "skelotonized" leaves are from the plecos. Small holes are good signs of deficiencies, complete removal of the body of the leaf is a sign they are getting eaten.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode