Wow it's hot... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Wow it's hot...

Hey, what do you guys do to deal with heat problems during summer time? I live in Southeastern Louisiana, and boy does it get really hot down here.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i haven't had a summer with this tank yet, but when i was a kid, i would make de-chlorinated ice cube to drop into the tank when things got hot!
someone probably has a better idea...

He who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
HVAC

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fans pointed at your water's surface should increase evaporation dramatically and thereby cause cooling. Granted, I don't live in the tropics, but during our hot season (Aug 4th - Aug 11th ) I used this on my reef tank with great success. Without the fans, the water would climb to 90+ if I let it. With the fans on 24/7, I could maintain 78 no problem (and that was with 780 watts of light over a 100 gallon tank).

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ya fans are great, but if that is still not enough, you can freeze 2 leiter bottles full of water (leave a little air) and then you don't have to declor anything.

Whiskey

Current work in progress:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 02:45 AM

Unplug the heater?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In Iowa, we get good and hot (humid too but that doesn't affect the tank, just humans and livestock), I have this new technology called air conditioning, works great

You can replace the top with something more open, I use "egg crate" which is a plastic light diffuser for dropped ceilings, comes in 2X2 and 2X4 sheets, easily cut to size, the mesh is small enough that no creatures have escaped but let's plenty of air circulate, and sometimes you just have to reduce the photo period or change it. I've found it helps to have the lights on overnight when it's usually cooler and cut back to 8 hours or so with no ill effect on the plants except for a slightly slower growth. Maybe step up the water changes at the same time to help keep back algae.

I'd be careful with artificial cooling, you want to avoid temp swings.

If money isn't problem, get a reef chiller.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
HVAC
Of course that smile leaves your face when you find your summer cooling bills as high as winters heating bills.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The fan blowing over surface is very effective. Evaporation takes away lots of heat, and this is what we recommended to newby reef keepers when they do not have the doughs to spend on a chiller units. The best part about evaporative cooling is ambient room temperature can be higher than the water temp, but it still works.

The only influencing factor is the ambient room humidity. If the humidity is really high, moist air blowing over water surface won't help evaporation. It is recommended to get a de-humidifier to keep room humidity down.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 04:34 AM

Maybe a dumb question... But anywho...

What is HVAC?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's air conditioning. Just keep your room or house cooler than usual. I added a small window unit in the spare room where my tank is. Otherwise wifey gets cold if I crank the central for my tank.

You care about that tank more than me!!HAHA! Just kidding.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaNerd
Maybe a dumb question... But anywho...

What is HVAC?
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Chillers are out of the question for me. I saw some at Dr. Foster and Smith around $165 for chiller and temperature control. I'd rather spend that money on pressurized co2. Fanning is also out of the question, the humidity down here is horrible. Good ole' AC should do the trick!

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode