GBRs, Tetras, and Restocking Questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
GBRs, Tetras, and Restocking Questions.

Just a couple quick questions; 1st, I'm planning on completely redoing my 55g and I'm curious if neons and GBRs are compatible. Also, my lfs is pretty lame when it comes to trading in fish for store credit. Is there any other reasonable option for getting these guys out of here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
My rams and cardinals get along just fine. I have a male + female pair of blue rams with 13 cardinal tetras in a 29.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
GBR's get a long with almost every community fish.
But they don't like the wild and fast moving fish like barbs.

Tetras are perfect.

Put your fish that you want to get rid off on CL or local Fish clubs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalu86 View Post
GBR's get a long with almost every community fish.
But they don't like the wild and fast moving fish like barbs.

Tetras are perfect.

Put your fish that you want to get rid off on CL or local Fish clubs.
Well shoot! looks like im going to move my barbs to my other tank then! Thanks for the heads up!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would try keeping your barbs. I disagree with the GBR not liking fast moving fish. Everything I read about them says that they should be kept with faster moving active fish. (as long as those fish are not aggressive. If your barbs tend to nip then it might not work) It gives confidence to the usually shy GBR to have all the activity around them. I have found this to be the case with my glofish. The more active the glofish are at anytime of day, the more active the GBR is .

You can always move your barbs later if you find this not to be the case

It can be hard to feed the GBR around the smaller active schooling fish. I have been dropping a couple sinking pellets which he loves down to the front of his cave. The glofish ignore the pellets and eat the flakes and my GBR and female betta share the pellets.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenlea View Post
I would try keeping your barbs. I disagree with the GBR not liking fast moving fish. Everything I read about them says that they should be kept with faster moving active fish. (as long as those fish are not aggressive. If your barbs tend to nip then it might not work) It gives confidence to the usually shy GBR to have all the activity around them. I have found this to be the case with my glofish. The more active the glofish are at anytime of day, the more active the GBR is .

You can always move your barbs later if you find this not to be the case

It can be hard to feed the GBR around the smaller active schooling fish. I have been dropping a couple sinking pellets which he loves down to the front of his cave. The glofish ignore the pellets and eat the flakes and my GBR and female betta share the pellets.
GBR's will be very shy around Barbs, I had them together for a week and it did not work.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
i've GBR + about 20 cards/neons in my tank right now. i used to have barbs...they seemed to get along fine, but the bigger problem i had was that the barbs were absolute pigs and would eat way more than their fair share.

RIP TANKS

"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

I currently have 6 barbs, none of which are fin nippers, and 4 GBRs. They seem to be doing fine, but I would like to see a little more activity out of my GBRs, 2 of them are pretty shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
i've GBR + about 20 cards/neons in my tank right now. i used to have barbs...they seemed to get along fine, but the bigger problem i had was that the barbs were absolute pigs and would eat way more than their fair share.
Yeah my barbs are quite the pigs as well.

Tags
gbr, neon, rams, restocking, tetra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode