Disappearing fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Disappearing fish

Fluval Edge 6 gallon, water parameters are good.
Light 8 hours a day
Planted
Tank: 1 guppie, 3 amano shrimp, 1 cpd, (added 6 harlequin rasboras yesterday)

I had 6 celestial pearl danios over a month ago, but now I have 1 left.

I've only seen 1 dead body but that was when I had ammonia (didn't change water for 2 weeks). Since then they are just disappearing the next day.

my filter tube has a sponge on it so they couldn't have been sucked into the filter. It doesn't make any sense, I've seen some threads with similar stories but not many conclusions.

Any ideas what is going on? Could my amano shrimps eat the dead bodies so that there is no trace of the body? But how are they dying?

*Scratches head*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was having the same problem. I had German Blue Rams in a tank with 2 Cory's, 2 Ottos, 1 Diamond Tetra and 2 Lemon Tetras. One by one the GBR's disapeared. No trace. Then one day I saw the cory's munching away on one of the Lemons. How they died, no one knows. But I had noticed that the Diamond would pick on the other fish. He was bigger than the rest. I took him back to the LFS and since then I have not lost one fish. Maybe you have a bully in your tank like I did.

Sunsun Pimp #46 - HW 302
Always lurking on TPT to learn more!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Amano shrimp can take very good care of dead fish for sure. Why they are dying is a much more involved question, but one thing i do know is that this tank is very tiny and most fish will tend not to do well in it for too long. i couldn't imagine stuffing my harliquins into a tank that small - they are active and big enough to take full advantage of their 20 Long as it is.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I've only seen 1 dead body but that was when I had ammonia (didn't change water for 2 weeks)
i should also add that a healthy and properly stocked tank can go weeks without a water change without ammonia problems - nitrates will rise if the plants don't use them up, but the bacteria should continue to take care of ammonia.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah I'm wondering what's wrong with the water back then also..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:40 AM

Nice topic and very helpful informations!

Tough job, tough day, tough world. Life is not always sweet. That's life!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
*Scratches head*
As has been said, the Amanos can certainly clear out a small fish's body in a short time. Especially three of them.

As has also been said, your tank is much too small for such active fishes. Small tanks are MUCH harder to maintain well than larger ones (say, 20 gallons and up). When you say that your water parameters are "good," what do you mean? What may be good for one set of critters may not be so good for others. Can you give more details about your water, how long the tank has been running, what is the temperature, how much and how often do you change your water, and perhaps what your source water parameters are? And that's just a start .

FWIW,

Mike
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoss View Post
As has been said, the Amanos can certainly clear out a small fish's body in a short time. Especially three of them.

As has also been said, your tank is much too small for such active fishes. Small tanks are MUCH harder to maintain well than larger ones (say, 20 gallons and up). When you say that your water parameters are "good," what do you mean? What may be good for one set of critters may not be so good for others. Can you give more details about your water, how long the tank has been running, what is the temperature, how much and how often do you change your water, and perhaps what your source water parameters are? And that's just a start .

FWIW,

Mike
good means 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-20ish nitrates
tank has been running 4 months
79 degrees heated
change 20% every week
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
good means 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-20ish nitrates
tank has been running 4 months
79 degrees heated
change 20% every week
If your plants are growing properly, you should have little or no nitrates. What plants do you have? How often do you feed (the plants and the fish) and with what.

I'm too much of a rookie in this forum to know what "cpd" is, but it sounds as if you added three times your initial bioload twice, and with very active fish that do better with more room. IMO, that is not a good idea with any tank, especially one as small as yours. And please don't feel that I'm bashing the size of your tank...MY first one was a 10 gallon. And no plants. That was some decades ago.

Taking care of a small tank is MUCH more difficult than working with a larger one. For example, you say that your tank is "79 degrees heated," but there is no way to know if your tank is staying that temperature 24 hours a day. It could easily drop in temperature overnight or increase in temperature rapidly once the lights come on. While guppies are known to tolerate such conditions, few other fish are, IME.

If you have the space, I would strongly urge you to go up to perhaps a 20 gallon tank. Sadly, such tanks, and many larger ones, are very commonly available in the want adds (shows my age) or Craigslist or some such. You could do so with little outlay, I think.

Finally, don't lose hope because you've lost some fish. While no one enjoys fish dying, if you haven't lost any fish in your career, you haven't kept them more than 5 minutes. I've even lost some on the way home from the LFS across town!

FWIW,

Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cpd - celestial pearl danios

my heater will turn on if it drops below 79, but not sure what it will do if its over 79 when the lights come on..good point

i have 4 anubias...currently the nitrates are at 20ppm, this is day 5 after adding the harlequin..everything seems ok for now...

i feel my fish 1 or 2x a day..about 1-2 minutes worth and i only feed while they eat to make sure nothing is left over..

Well, i just don't understand where my cpd's disappeared to...i had 8, only saw 2 dead bodies....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you checked the floor around the tank? I just moved a wire fish rack and found several dried out fish bodies that I wondered where they went.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
cpd - celestial pearl danios

my heater will turn on if it drops below 79, but not sure what it will do if its over 79 when the lights come on..good point

i have 4 anubias...currently the nitrates are at 20ppm, this is day 5 after adding the harlequin..everything seems ok for now...

i feel my fish 1 or 2x a day..about 1-2 minutes worth and i only feed while they eat to make sure nothing is left over..

Well, i just don't understand where my cpd's disappeared to...i had 8, only saw 2 dead bodies....
I think that your tank overheating might be the problem. Warmer water cannot hold as much oxygen as cooler water, and to my knowledge, none of your fish like it even as high as 79, especially the active ones that need good oxygenation. Dropping your tank down to 74-75 shouldn't hurt.

The anubias are not fast-growing plants, so I guess you have a "low-light" system. With a low-light system coupled with very active fish in a small tank, you may have reached your top bioload, unless you use fish more like guppys or perhaps anabantids such as the smaller gourami.

As for not finding the fish bodies, that can be from either their jumping out, the shrimp eating them, our your just not finding them easily. The last two possibilities will certainly result in higher nitrates.

FWIW,

Mike
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM

green spotted pufferfish disappearance in Fluval Edge 6 gallon fish tank

I have a 6 gallon fluval edge fish tank and had 2 black mollys and 1 green spotted pufferfish. the pufferfish (i assume died) dissapeared and i still cannot find his carcass. any ideas?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode