What's best way to keep track of multiple tank changes and so on... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
What's best way to keep track of multiple tank changes and so on...

Currently I am housing 4 various sized tanks in my bedroom and was curious as to what others do to keep track of feeding, water changes and any other tank maintenance. Was thinking a calender dry erase board but figured I would poll the good people here on what they are currently doing.

"Hungry dog will eat anything, Eat that vomit dog!"
-Run Ronnie Run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
LOL..
i have 2 full tanks and one emersed setup. i maintain them daily at the same time with feeding and fertilizing. sunday morning i have 3-4 hours set aside for myself to clean, change water, prune plants, and stare + enjoy my tanks

7 day medicine holder keeps me on track for fertilizer
feeding.. eh i just drop some food in. if they look interested i keep feeding. if not i stop

Sump Pimp #7

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

PTrader: (11/100%)
I just wait until water evaporates and my water line is viewable below the black plastic to do a water change. Normally works out to be 1-2 weeks. Feeding if you are worried about remembering get a cheap timer.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I do the same thing Blazing does, feed and fertilize around the same time everyday, and I do my water changes on sunday (my break day from feeding and fertilizing). Everyone has their own schedule and this seems to work out for me.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
A - Once a week maint. all tanks.
B - 3 days later dose frets, top off water
C - Daily check add excel

ABC, Easy as 1,2,3.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Feeding is done at night when the kids go to bed and tell me to feed their fish. I feed my other tanks at the same time.
Water changes are done on the weekend when I have some time.

Semper Fi
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
I have about 1,900ish gallons at my office and 10-12 tanks at home at any given moment.

Have found Google Docs to be invaluable. Great for setting calendar alerts and you can even easily create web forms for quickly entering parameters and notes.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Daily feeding on all tanks, in evening when all lights are on
Tues - ferts (EI, mixed into a solution in a 30oz dosing container) in my 3 CO2 tanks
Thurs - ferts
Sun - Water changes and ferts

Sunday is the only day that requires more than about 2 minutes of effort.

Btw, the way I do EI is 30 doses is mixed into a 30oz dosing container that has a 1oz dosing compartment (bought through USPlastics.com, along with my airline tubing). Macros in one bottle, micros in another, same size doses. The dose is for a 30g tank. So:

30g tank gets 1oz
25g tank gets about 3/4oz
and my 20L gets about 2/3oz
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I only have one tank on the go mainly (sometimes I set up a breeding tank, but that's another story) I keep a diary, I keep track of what I spend, when, what I do when, test results etc, when and what they were, why I did extra tests... cleaning (I record if I needed to clean the glass more etc...) water changes etc... then I can look and say... hmmm, this caused this... so to speak.

the diary itself is just an exercise book. every entry is dated.

one of the things I keep a close eye on here, is the temp of the tank, in summer i can have issues with it getting too hot.

Last edited by paddles; 11-03-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add temp recommendation
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
KyleT built this for you if you want to use it.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pTracker.html

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Thank you all on your speedy and informative responses. I work anywhere from 50-90 hours a week and have had like 5 days off so far in the year 2011 which makes hard to keep up on my tanks and remember what has been done and still needs to be done. Definitely have some ideas on how to manage the tanks a bit more efficiently now.

"Hungry dog will eat anything, Eat that vomit dog!"
-Run Ronnie Run

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
A notebook.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
A notebook.
Same here. I have notebooks from when I first started keeping tanks.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixxYurFace View Post
Thank you all on your speedy and informative responses. I work anywhere from 50-90 hours a week and have had like 5 days off so far in the year 2011 which makes hard to keep up on my tanks and remember what has been done and still needs to be done. Definitely have some ideas on how to manage the tanks a bit more efficiently now.
hahaha I know the feeling all too often on a lack of time.
I have excel spread sheets setup for the purpose of tracking each tank system. easy to email back and forth between work and home also easier to scroll back looking a spawn data, canister cleanings etc. rather than flipping pages in a note book. But 5 full note books sit in the library from the pre excel days LOL

can send an unlocked copy of the blank spare if you have excel on your computer system and want it.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wkndracer - I would love the spreadsheet, also! Getting lots of tanks and now that some are breeding it's getting confusing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode