I'm downsizing significantly, and have some general questions, and pricing questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm downsizing significantly, and have some general questions, and pricing questions.

Hey - some of you might've seen me talking about my big plans to downgrade from my 33gal to a 60-P (17gal). I've realized I've kinda jumped in over my head on this one. It's not that my tank right now is a problem, or that it's a lot of maintenance right now, cause it really isn't, but the tank and setup does NOT look anything how I want it to look. I'm not just jumping on the ADA bandwagon, I really legitimately love the simple and clean aesthetics of it. I have always had a love for clean modern lines (with a touch of vintage), and every time I look at my tank in my living room I cringe about how ugly the whole thing is and how it sticks out like a sore thumb among my other possessions.

My dilemma is, I'm a broke college student living Western Canada. That means no access to a large ADA retailers, or similar products. I have found me an ADA retailer in Vancouver (Canadian Aquatics) that is able to ship me stuff via Greyhound courier at a very reasonable price. There is still some kind of a markup on all the products (it's not bad, for example, a 60-P is about $150), so I would like to cut corners (ex. not using AS, buying lily pipes on eBay, etc) where possible. I am not opting for a bigger tank right now because I have NO idea what I would do for a stand - I have no handyman skills whatsoever and no access to power tools. At least with something small like a 60-P I could use a prebuit stand of some sort from Wal Mart or another furniture store. When I have a reliable job and some money saved up I will get another tank similar size to this one, maybe a 40 gallon

HERE ARE MY MANY QUESTIONS:

* Is my Eheim Ecco 2234 too big for a 60-P (17gal)? It's rated for 132gph, so it pumps out quite a bit. It's been a phenomenal filter and I love it, but the fact that I got it for soooo cheap, and because it's already set up with BB, I'd like to keep it. I was planning of getting a set of 13mm Lily Pipes from that site you guys don't want me posting links from. Would it make too big of a whirlpool in my significantly smaller tank?

* I have a pair of German Blue Rams which I finally JUST got settled in. I'm now afraid that a 17gallon is not big enough for them. They are definitely a male/female pair and they are very docile with each other. I would only be keeping them with a small school of neon, rummynose, or some other kind of micro tetra or rasbora, a couple of otos for algae maintenance, and maybe a few panda or other small cory's because they're just too cute. My tank will be lushly planted, no Iwagumi minimalist setup. Will they be OK?

* What the heck should I do for substrate? My thread in the substrate section is here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...nted-60-p.html

* What about lighting? I was considering cheaping out and going for a FNI (http://fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-...quarium-l.html) fixture, but is there anything else I could do for cheap, like a LED setup? I plan on having relatively low light and easy to care for plants, but I would like a decent PAR rating at the substrate because I do want some lower foreground carpeting plants.

* This change is only going to be made possible because of how little I paid for my current setup... Everything below (plus the Ecco and minus the AC) for $40. Which leads me to my pricing question - I didn't buy this tank as any sort of investment. I was not planning on reselling it. I just saw it was so freaking cheap and had to jump on it. But since I've had it for a while, I've realized it's not just my style. What I'm selling will include:

- 33 gallon rimless custom size Hagen tank, black silicone (kinda ragged, but not within danger zone) glass is in good shape otherwise, very few scratches. Some hard water stains but nothing that couldn't be removed. I just got lazy when I cleaned it.

31.5 l x 13.5 w x 18 h

- Matching Hagen hood with dual 24" bulbs (40w total), moisture resistant end caps, so no need for glass cover. I spray painted the inside white. This hood is a bit of a PITA to take off every time you need to do maintenance because of the way it fits the tank, but otherwise it's really nice, and very good quality.

- Geometrik stand, in kinda rough shape, fair amount of water damage. Looks like it's built for a 50 gallon bowfront or something. Very sturdy though.

- Aquaclear 50 filter. I really wanna keep this as I like to have huge filtration capacity. If it's not worth much to resell it I will keep it (it retails for about $49). I will stick it on my 10 gallon gourami pair's tank otherwise.

- 2 x Maxi Jet 600.

- 1x 100w non submersible (though the guy obviously submersed it anyway because the cord was covered in water stains) Thermal Compact heater. Able to keep the temperature stable and warm in my cold basement, which surprises even me. Great little heater. I plan on doing an in-line heater for my ADA tank.

- Other assorted stuff, including those 2 pieces of malaysian wood (they were about $7 a piece), the sand (which was $30, ridiculous I know) etc.

- 5x Black Skirt Tetras, 5x Zebra Danios, 1x female Red Wag Platy, 1x Juvenile Rainbow Shark. Can sell these guys separately.

Keeping in mind the whole "everything is slightly more expensive in Canada" thing, how would you price all of the above?

That's all I can think of for now. I might add more in the future. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump, fell off first page with no replies...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've read this twice and I'm not understanding the information you are looking for.

Are you asking what you should sell your set up for?

Or Are you asking what to keep for a new tank (17g)?

Or Are you asking how to set -up the 17g in a more effective way?

Maybe if you clarify in your response we can get some advice fir you.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Each individual question is tagged by an asterisk. Even help with one answer would be appreciated.

Yes, I'm asking how much I should sell my setup for. Everything with a hyphen is what will be sold. I want to keep the Eheim 2234 IF it isn't too much flow for a 60-P.

Quote:
What I'm selling will include:

yadda yadda stuff here

Keeping in mind the whole "everything is slightly more expensive in Canada" thing, how would you price all of the above?
I thought that was pretty clear... sorry.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
For fast sale price everything at 50% of new delivered cost in your area. Unfortunately used Aquraium equipment doesn't hold much resale value no matter how nice condition it is in.

Increasing the diameter of the return hose will reduce flow. I would suggest you try that on the existing tank before you make your decision. Any hardware store should be able to help you with reducers and some simple PVC elbows/pipe. It does not need to look pretty for this test. If it works you can buy the larger dimeter acrylic return that will look nice.

I hope that helps.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Eheim 2234 is fine for an ADA-60P. You can turn down the shut-off valves on the output slightly to decrease the flow. An Eheim 2215 would be a better choice if you're buying new, since it has a higher output flow.

I would highly recommend using ADA Aquasoil, or mineralized potting soil topped with gravel or sand. I've setup tanks with eco-complete, tahitian moon sand, and normal gravel before, and the Aquasoil makes my plants grow better than anything I've ever used before. Just be prepared to follow the ADA regimen and do daily 1/3rd water changes the first week, every other day the week after that, then twice weekly for the next few weeks. The benefits of a nutrient rich substrate are huge.

I'm not sure about the rams, they might be fine but I wouldn't put them in a brand new tank without establishing it first for at least a couple months. Those are beautiful, expensive fish, and I'd hate to see them die due to an improperly cycled tank.

I have the fishneedit 2x24" fixture over my ADA 60P and it works great. It looks a little cheap sitting on top of such a beautiful tank, but I didn't want to spend a lot on a metal halide system. You better be running pressurized Co2 with such a setup, or else you're going to grow a ton of algae. As is, 2x24 watt T5HO 16" from the substrate is at the upper end of high light.

That looks like a really nice tank and stand. I'd bet you could easily get $100 for the setup on craigslist. It has to be worth much more than the $40 you spent for it.

Good luck!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you both for the suggestions.

I can't decide between light and dark substrates right now... gah! With a soil tank, would I want to use Miracle Gro Organic, or a topsoil? Does MGO need to be soaked/dried out like top soil does? I'll be doing this over winter so the whole wet-dry process might be ridiculously frustrating.

My rams were cheap and aren't very nice. I mean I like them... but they're obviously low quality and so I'm not really touting them as a showpiece in my tank. I just want to make sure they'll be ok.

I was hoping to get at least $200 for the setup... that's as much as the ADA 60-P will cost me. Which makes me but it's worth it. I've been saving for a while so I'll be ready.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thank you both for the suggestions.

I can't decide between light and dark substrates right now... gah! With a soil tank, would I want to use Miracle Gro Organic, or a topsoil? Does MGO need to be soaked/dried out like top soil does? I'll be doing this over winter so the whole wet-dry process might be ridiculously frustrating.
Dark (black) substrates look better with plants, my opinion.

Miracle Grow Organic. Here is my story one Friday night.

500pm, dump MGO into tank directly from bag.
505pm, level it out with hand to 1-1 1/2 inches deep.
510pm, add rock on top of MGO.
515pm, level it out with hand to 1-1 1/2 inches deep.
520pm, place tank on stand.
525pm, fill tank.
535pm, start filters, start heater.
540pm, drink beer and think about aquascaping...
550pm, add tons of plants, continue filtering.

The next afternoon I tested my water and added fish. Neons to be exact, all 17 are still alive and kicking.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I didn't think you had to do anything to the MGO, just sift it or whatever if you wanted to, thanks! Problem is I don't think I'll be able to find it here during the winter months, but I haven't checked any specialized plant stores or anything yet.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't think you had to do anything to the MGO, just sift it or whatever if you wanted to, thanks! Problem is I don't think I'll be able to find it here during the winter months, but I haven't checked any specialized plant stores or anything yet.
My Wal-Mart had it out back in the greenhouse area. But not much, might have been the last of the season's supply.

I wasn't trying to be wise with my post. I just hear all these people talking about how difficult a dirt tank is and how you have to do all of this stuff...I call shenanigans. It will most likely require a few water changes in the beginning, but it's just not that difficult to get started. Good luck!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked at Wal Mart - the only MGO stuff they had was the bone meal =( And I know you weren't - it gave me peace of mind, though!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I looked at Wal Mart - the only MGO stuff they had was the bone meal =(
Yea...winter does tend to hit BC before Kansas, lol. I here Scotts makes some organic that about the same. Surely someone, somewhere up there keeps plant supplies year round. Flower shop, some hardware stores, tree nursery, greenhouse...your just gonna have to shop around I suppose.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yup - supposed to snow next week!!!

It's tough without a car, though. I just can't wait to go rock picking and have to haul them all home *sigh*
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Some guy in the swap and shop was selling mineralized topsoil kits in case you don't want to use Miracle Gro. I think $20 for a kit for a 60P is reasonable for a complete kit... You only need to cap it with sand or gravel. Good luck!

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Probably would be too expensive to ship something heavyish like dirt to Canada, thanks though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode