What is all over my fish!!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is all over my fish!!?

I was on vacation for the week, came back and found this all over my cat.

Everyone else looks good and healthy - but him, not so much

Work in progess -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Looks like ich, but i'm not quite sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
It looks like ich

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Ich.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
That would be ich. You def want to look into how to treat with either salt or chemicals. I prefer salt and heat myself, but you need to find out if all your fish are able to tolerate salt. Ich is highly contagious so you need to treat it fast if you can. Good luck. - Ash
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Algae Grower

Yea that is ich. You need to treat right thoroughly right away as it is highly contagious and all your other fish will soon have it as well. I just discovered it in the kids' guppy tank last night Unfortunately there are fry and two kuhli loaches in there that won't like any treatment I use.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have some fry but no biggie.

In there is:

a senegal bichir
Upside down cat
3 halfbeaks
Bumblebee Catfish
Bumblebee Goby
Some guppies
Ghost Shrimp
Rubberlip Pleco
Silk Pleco

Work in progess -
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Planted Member

Yeah, you def want to treat as soon as possible so you can save those other fish. Ich will spread through your tank with the quickness! There is a lot of debate between aquarist/hobbyist about whether it is better to use salt or to use chemicals. As I said before, I prefer the salt/heat method. Some say you cannot dose enough salt with fish like some plecos that do not have true scales, but others have had success with it and no problems. My advice to you would be to research ich treatments and decide what you would rather do.
The salt method is the only one I have ever done, and basically it requires you to turn up the heater in your tank to above 80 degrees and slowly acclimate your tank to about 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. There are much more thorough descriptions out there, but whatever you do, you need to jump on it. Ich will wipe your fish out and fast!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes2ashes View Post
Yeah, you def want to treat as soon as possible so you can save those other fish. Ich will spread through your tank with the quickness! There is a lot of debate between aquarist/hobbyist about whether it is better to use salt or to use chemicals. As I said before, I prefer the salt/heat method. Some say you cannot dose enough salt with fish like some plecos that do not have true scales, but others have had success with it and no problems. My advice to you would be to research ich treatments and decide what you would rather do.
The salt method is the only one I have ever done, and basically it requires you to turn up the heater in your tank to above 80 degrees and slowly acclimate your tank to about 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. There are much more thorough descriptions out there, but whatever you do, you need to jump on it. Ich will wipe your fish out and fast!

What size heater can I get away with. my tank stays at 75 degrees naturally.

Work in progess -
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

Is it the 28 gallon tank from your signature? I THINK you could get away with a 75 watt to a 100 watt heater for that size tank, but don't quote me on that. I am not a heater expert by any means. If I were you I would def do some research on ich and see what other people have to say about treating it. There is a LOT of good advice out there.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would try and take out the affected fish into a small QT tank and treat them there. Easier to control heat, add salt and not effect anything else in your tank like the plants that may not like the salt, etc.

a 5.5gal and heater for it can't run more than $20 or so in the states. An incadescent light bulb over the tank would probably heat a 5.5 too, save on the heater.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I would try and take out the affected fish into a small QT tank and treat them there. Easier to control heat, add salt and not effect anything else in your tank like the plants that may not like the salt, etc.

a 5.5gal and heater for it can't run more than $20 or so in the states. An incadescent light bulb over the tank would probably heat a 5.5 too, save on the heater.
I was thinking this too... its just one fish, so I could toss him in there with an airstone.

What do I do about the main tank tho?

Work in progess -
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

how does your tank stay at 75 naturally living here in new england?? I could have used that trick this week when I had no power
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I know people are not big on chemicals, but.... thats a pretty nasty outbreak. As long as you dont have any snails, I would use coppersafe by Mardels I beleive. I have used it before, it doesnt dye the water at all. It didnt kill my fry that I had, you dont have to remove any of your carbon or filtering and its pretty gentle on the fish. Also it is supposed to last in the water for around 30 days, least thats what the bottle says, the advantage though is you dont have to dose daily like some. So it will work on several cycles of the ich.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For parasites it's usually preferable to treat the entire tank rather than individual fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode