A better automated feeder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A better automated feeder

Has anyone found an automatic fish feeder that isn't a cheap piece of junk? Every one that I have tried is extremely ineffective at metering out anything that would even resemble a consistent amount of food. I've always primarily fed live or frozen food, but the fish will have to survive on micropellets about half the time for the forseeable future. I'll fatten them up on bloodworms and daphnia during the times when I'm home.

I find myself travelling almost constantly and need to automate feeding for at least two weeks at a stretch. I've been having relatives and neighbors stop by a few times a week, but they aren't always reliable, and tend to overfeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I would like to know this info too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP TANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use a cheap battery powered Penn-Plax Daily Double II. I tested it, and even at it's lowest food setting it was horribly overfeeding. So I tore it apart, it has a little orange tube with about a 1/2 inch cut out of one side of the tube to pick up food on the down pass. This was too much, so I got some scotch tape and wrapped it around the tube making the 1/2 inch into a 1/4 inch and my problem was solved. It dumped out right on the short side of just enough...perfect for me on vacation.

The issue in my opinion isn't with the feeders. I mean, they operate as they should. Unfortunately there isn't one size fish food. I mean it will dump a ton of dried blood worms, but a reasonable amount of large flakes. If the flakes are small it will dump too many. I hope you see my point, they cannot possible make a design that will dump just the right amount for every tank with every different kind of food available to us. Therefore we must modify.

I suggest making any modifications, then testing it for a day or two before you take on vacation. Er on the side of too little food...will give the fish something to do while you're gone...search for food, lol.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I got some scotch tape and wrapped it around the tube making the 1/2 inch into a 1/4 inch and my problem was solved. It dumped out right on the short side of just enough...perfect for me on vacation.
OMG! This is a brilliant solution. I've been annoyed by that huge opening on the orange tube for literally YEARS but never thought of simply making it smaller with tape. THANK YOU!

Will
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't have a better feeder mechanism, but you can fix the relatives issue by putting the food into one of those 7-day pill containers. They just dump in one compartment per day.

Always curious.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

While it's true that fish food comes in different sizes, what about a 14 day feeder that dumps a premeasured compartment each day? That's the sort of thing I was hoping to find.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbldrco View Post
OMG! This is a brilliant solution. I've been annoyed by that huge opening on the orange tube for literally YEARS but never thought of simply making it smaller with tape. THANK YOU!

Will
Everything can be fixed with duct tape. (or it's close relative scotch)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It's easy enough to make a device that goes through one cycle once a day. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap conveyor?

Always curious.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Mate-F14-...0379930&sr=8-8

I personally have an Eheim auto feeder and I feed really small pellets and flakes (for guppies and guppy fry). It did work out too well when I had a small amount of fish, but now that I have about 20+ fish, plus shrimp, it works perfectly. It is a little on the expensive side, though...

I moss be in love

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode