will this work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
will this work?

Hi
I currently have a pond pump and filter doing the filtration work on my tank, the pump pushes out 4000 lph and all this is done though 1.5 inch pipe work. what i would like to do is add a second normal external filter but using a reducing tee to plumb in the externals outlet pipework straight into the pond filters outlet pipe work that way i can run a reactor off the external and have the combined flows exiting though a single tank long spray bar. What im not sure about though is would this work or would the 4000 lph push against the external at the reducing tee or would the higher flow rate act as a venturi and help pull the water from the external?

hope that all makes sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A reducing tee, with high flow through the full size portion, will act as a venturi to some extent, so it will not block the flow into the small inlet, but will tend to increase that flow a bit. The exception to that is if the spraybar is restricting the flow in any way, which would cause a higher pressure in the tee, and that might tend to reduce the flow into the small inlet. As long as the spraybar pipe is as big as the plumbing leading to it, and the total cross section area of all of the holes in the spray bar is at least as big as the cross section area of the plumbing, the spraybar won't restrict the flow.

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so as long as my spray bar doesn't restrict flow i should be ok? i'll post up some maths at some point to be checked over as maths never was my strong point.
cheers

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok heres the maths,
my spray bar will have an internal diameter of 34mm, i get an area of 907.8mm so round that up to 908. i thought 6mm holes would be ok?? if so then that will have an area of 28.27mm. if i divide 908 by 28.27 i get 32.11 with means i need 31 or 32 6mm holes along the 5.5 foot length of spray bar?
does that sound right? do you think 6mm holes will be ok for 4000lph flow?

cheers, chris
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anyone?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
You may need to add a valve after the T fitting on the spray bar line.

The total diameter of the hole in relationship to the spray bar diameter will effect the outflow. Last time I made one I didn't do any entering calculations. I just started drilling and slowly increasing the diameter of the holes. Not very scientific, I know. But, I had plenty of PVC.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what would the valve be for? wouldn't adding it after the T cause pressure to build and flow out of the reduced section of the T? this is what im trying to avoid as i wat the external filter flow to be added to the pond pump flow
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Your math is correct for the spray bar holes. And the spray bar ID is close enough to the piping ID for that to be ok too. It should work fine.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode