Neat way to get CO2 into the system - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Neat way to get CO2 into the system

I rigged up dual 3ltr bottles as a DIY Co2 tank for my 210, this is an old saltwater tank so it is drilled and has a sump with return pump. What I thought would be a good way to get the co2 into the system was to place the end of the airline tube and the opening into my pump (Rio 2500).

This has turned out even better than I thought, my return pump hooks to a 5 foot long 1/2inch PVC spraybar that runs horizontally across the tank, about half of each co2 bubble exits the spray bar in a burst of micro bubbles. The remainder stays INSIDE the spray bar with water running past it, after I ran it for awhile I noticed occasional sprays of bubbles exiting from the very farthest hole in the spraybar, the initial burts where at the exits closest to the pump.

I am guessing that by trapping the CO2 in the spraybar and having a constant flow of water over the bubbles I will get pretty good return on my bubbles.

I know DIY Co2 is inefficient on big tanks (mine being a 210) but if I see any good results from this it will help sell me on going pressurized. Its a low light tank so not a whole lot of extra CO2 is needed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good stuff!

I've played around with my DIY Co2 distribution as well and ended up doing the same thing...kind of. I have a HOB and ended up feeding my Co2 into it's intake by having an air stone directly beneath the intake.

I've heard people praising this method and poo-pooing, but I'm sticking with it. My HOB impeller chews up the Co2 bubbles pretty good and a ton of them get shot out the return into the tank where they get pushed pretty much everywhere as they slowly dissolve. When I look down into the HOB, sure, some of the Co2 rises to the top, but it seems most of it that isn't shot back into the tank ends up trapped in the filter as a micro bubble until it finally dissolves.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well the neat thing is many saltwater pumps are DESIGNED to be able to be used with protein skimmers, and have no issue handling the small volume of CO2 gas being fed to them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesCJ View Post

I know DIY Co2 is inefficient on big tanks (mine being a 210) but if I see any good results from this it will help sell me on going pressurized. Its a low light tank so not a whole lot of extra CO2 is needed
As long as you only use low light, any amount of CO2 is good for the plants. It will not give nearly the benefits of a good pressurized CO2 system, but you should see a difference anyway.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode