flea bombing the house - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation flea bombing the house

just randomly decided to flea bomb the house today has anyone done this with fish tanks in the house? i only have to stay outside for an hour so i figured just turn of the air pump and filter and they might be fine idk. il update in a couple hours. if they die i guess i have an excuse to get new fish

nothing here but disappointment
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dont call me an Aquarist
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

no, I dont have any axe body spray cause im not a d***** bag

youtube channel

Sebastian the bullheads journal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Did you have a flea problem...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Did you have a flea problem...
lol

Could have covered the tanks with syran wrap just to be safe.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use an insect growth regulator (IGR), like Nylar or Precor. Not a toxin and doesn't kill anything, just stops reproduction of certain insects. Used alone, they'll gradually die off naturally over the next month or two. Any new fleas introduced won't reproduce, and depending on the rate of introduction that may be all the control you ever need. Supposed to last up to a year, but I usually get 2-3 years before I have to reapply.

If you're lucky, your flea bombs already contain an IGR in addition to a traditional insecticide for quick knock-down; but many do not. In which case you might find yourself bombing every few months. Even if your fish can tolerate it, it's better off avoided.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I show & compete with my dogs.("Dog" of DogFish) Going to a show with 500dogs, bring home an rant flea is inevitable. I also do private training. Basically, I'm constantly around dogs.

In 30 years of doing this I've never bombed my house. Keeping it clean is the key. That can mean DAILY vacuuming. You must remove that dirt the vacuum and get it out of your house. The fleas can get out of the vacuum cleaner.

I do use frontline (IGR). I do a flea bath at the hotel before I bring the dogs home from a road trip. I've eliminated most of the carpet in the house.

I started using Cedarcide this year. Pretty amazzing stuff. I don't agree with them on using it in a fogger for the ave. problem. I'm fortunate to live far enough North were Fleas & Ticks are a seasonal issue. Ticks are bigger concern here as we have Lyme problem in our area.

Last edited by DogFish; 11-02-2011 at 03:37 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just got back i did cover the tanks with some garbage bags everything seems fine. i geuss if nothing happens by morning ill be ok.

nothing here but disappointment

dont call me an Aquarist

no, I dont have any axe body spray cause im not a d***** bag

youtube channel

Sebastian the bullheads journal
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Planted Member

I've flea bombed my house 3 times this year and I literally covered the top of the tank with a blanket and left all the filters and everything on and I never had a problem and I used really strong bombs
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 to "Frontline"
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hi all,

I am a pet groomer by profession. Here in the north east the fleas have been HORRIBLE this year. When I first started grooming 20 years ago, every late summer/fall would bring an onslaught of fleas. With the advancement of technology and spot treatments fleas had almost completely disappeared.

UNTIL... last year. Last year was the first time in years that I started seeing large flea infestations again. Granted I live in a moderately high income area where almost every client keeps frontline/advantage/vectra some other version of spot treatment on their pets at least 60 months out of the year.

I just wanted to respond to the +1 to frontline. Unfortunately, at least in my area, frontline has COMPLETELY stopped working. I have groomed countless dogs in the past 2 months that have been on frontline and completely compliant with live flea infestations on the dogs (and cats) I (and many other groomers) believe that the fleas have built up a resistance to that particular product.

So far the Advantage and Vectra 3d are still working so if you have a choice, go with one of those. They use a different insecticide then the frontline.

You can also if you choose add "Sentinal" which is a monthly heart worm preventative that also has the IGR that people in earlier posts are talking about. It is flea product that stops fleas from being able to reproduce, so even if your dog does get fleas. It will end the cycle when that flea dies.

I never recommend flea bombs to my clients the reason for this is because the bombs explode, the chemicals go up into the air and fall to the ground. Sounds great except that they land on whatever they hit first. Therefore, much of your home is not protected. The mist lands on tables, and furniture but does NOT get under those things. Unfortunately, under those things are where most of your flea eggs are going to be.

Fleas lay eggs on the pet, the pet walks around and the eggs fall off as they wander or sleep. Then, as we walk around the house the breeze we create, blows the drying eggs into the corners, under furniture, under overhangs from the cabinets or heaters where they are protected.

For that reason, I always recommend the area premise sprays. that way you can aim the product where you want it.

OH.. there is one stage of a flea that nothing can kill. For this reason I recommend that clients keep their pets on the spot treatments for at least 3 more months after they think the fleas are gone, even if it is midwinter. That way, as they hatch they will die as they jump on the pet.

Anyway, sorry for the long, probably boring post but since this is a subject I state my livelyhood on, I thought I would chime in Hope someone finds it helpful

It is not hard to keep your pets and your home flea free (I agree with the person who shows dogs, btw what breed???) It just takes the right prevention. My dog comes to work with me everyday and is exposed to fleas sometimes and I have never had them in my home.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Jadenlea - I own a Rottweiler (retired) and a Catahoula. I have lots of friends with working breeds that I have show to help out, I am not a pro-handler.

I'm sure some strains of fleas may become tolerant of Frontline or any other brand. I'm always a bit suspicious when I hear someting didn't work in the pet industry. I'm a Pt dog food rep. I hear about food allergies all the time yet only 3-4% of dogs have allergies my a recent study...LOL

I'm sure people tell you all the time how they brush their dog every week, yet the give you a matted dog to "fix".

You are correct it is a good idea to switch up peventions.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Dog. Love Catahoulas! Very Cool dogs.

I hear what you are saying but I swear I have nothing against Frontline. I have used and recommended it for years but it has been amazing this year how many animals who are using it are coming in with flea infestations. There are clients I know for sure are using it because they buy it when they are there for grooming to put on when they get home. Some even have me apply it.

Believe me. I will recommend whatever works and is safe no matter what the brand name because I don't want those fleas in my shop!!!!

I am a member of different groomer trade forums and there have been discussions there from groomers reporting the same things.

Either way.. all the products are comparatively priced so that is good news
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Who the hell just randomly bombs their house? lol, I'm sorry I just had to say it

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to stsalerno Send a message via Skype™ to stsalerno
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Jadenlea - I own a Rottweiler (retired) and a Catahoula. I have lots of friends with working breeds that I have show to help out, I am not a pro-handler.

I'm sure some strains of fleas may become tolerant of Frontline or any other brand. I'm always a bit suspicious when I hear someting didn't work in the pet industry. I'm a Pt dog food rep. I hear about food allergies all the time yet only 3-4% of dogs have allergies my a recent study...LOL

I'm sure people tell you all the time how they brush their dog every week, yet the give you a matted dog to "fix".

You are correct it is a good idea to switch up peventions.
I live in northern MA close to the border of NH. This summer my boyfriend and I had a problem with fleas on our lab mix even though we were using frontline on her. We also never saw a flea on my Rat Terrier. When we took our lab mix to our vet, Countryside Veterinary Hospital (google them and you will see that they have won several awards) about this issue they told us that Frontline+ just doesn't work in this area anymore and that the reason one dog had fleas and the other didn't was because we had been using Advantix on our Rat Terrier. Apparently Advantix still works here but not Frontline.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well there ya go then. I am in NH near the Mass border so we are in the same area.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalerno View Post
... Countryside Veterinary Hospital (google them and you will see that they have won several awards) about this issue they told us that Frontline+ just doesn't work in this area anymore and that the reason one dog had fleas and the other didn't was because we had been using Advantix on our Rat Terrier. Apparently Advantix still works here but not Frontline.
You might have glossed over this part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
...I'm sure some strains of fleas may become tolerant of Frontline or any other brand.
Did you actually run a flea comb through your Rat's fur daily for a week? Which is about the only way to be sure the dog does not in fact have fleas.

Next times ask your Vet about Flea Bite Hypersensitivity. There is a possibility that the Rat is more tolerant of fleas that the Lab. I have two friends that both are so allergic to Bees stings that the have to carry the Eprinephine 9mos out of the year. I seldom get more than a slight mark from a bee sting.

I'm not disputing the possibility that NorEaster Fleas have mutated. The Pet industry, especially the dog segment is notorous for unfounded rumors.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode