setting up a 150gallon... help wanted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Exclamation setting up a 150gallon... help wanted

so im setting up a 150 gallon tank soon (in 5 days) and its 6ft long x2ft tall x20in wide im going tomake it semi planted tank so what should i use for substrate and lighting and that stuff i already have some angles and a verity of tetras that are going in there...
thanks for all the help, wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
What should you use? That really depends on your goals I guess. Any ideas yet as to the desired outcome?

If your going to have alot of angels you could go with a South American biotype. They usually are lower light setups which bodes well with your 'semi-planted' idea.

Expensive substrate is a killer with larger setups like that 150. You might want to look into MTS or some other kind of topped-dirt concept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (11/100%)
I second what dubvstudent said. You need to know what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want a high light high tech tank? Or do you want a low light low tech tank? The most popular substrate options would be.

Mineralized Top Soil Topped With Pool Filter Sand/Blasting Grit Sand
Miracle Grow Organic Topped With Pool Filter Sand/Blasting Grit Sand
Fluorite Sand or Regular
Aquasoil
Eco Complete
Blasting Sand With Root Tabs
Pool Filter Sand With Root Tabs
Regular Gravel With Root Tabs

As far as lighting goes you have got a ton of options as well:
LED
T5HO
T5NO
T8
T12
Power Compact
MH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
like above mentioned with any tank, even more important the larger you go, you need to figure out what you and out of the tank, set a budget, and then start to figure out your components.

I have yet to try it in a tank with fish, but in experiments with Miracle Grow organic potting soil and a sand cap, I have had great results with a plant clippings tank and bringing things back from near dead. I would look into this, especially as you are going tetras and angels and the MG has a lot of peat in it and will keep the water more acidic.

Also I have a 55 that had a $130 Power compact light on it for a few years, one of the bulbs blew out, I went and bought a temporary twin tube T8 from Lowes $20 with bulbs, and it looks just as bright, I was surprised and a little mad that I spent the extra money a few years back.

There are many answers for every question and with tank setup I would say your first priority is set a budget and then figure out what components to go for based off budget.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
As jwm5 said,

Set a budget first and go from there. I have had success in my 60G I just set up about a month ago (tank journal in my sig to see what I'm running) and it has Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix with a pea gravel cap. My plants love the dirt (who would have thought that plants like dirt?!). Flourite is good, I used some of that in my cap mixed in with the pea gravel. You could also use pool filter sand, all depends on the look you are going for.

Lighting, you don't need anything fancy. I went to Lowe's and picked up a twin T8 fixture for under $20 and my plants love it. I did add a 3rd light eventually, but the 2 were fine. Here is a chart to figure out what lighting you will need

You're prolly also going to need fertilizers. Root tabs work great if you want swords. You'll also want some Macro and Micro fertilizers so the plants can grow to their full potential.

You using Co2 or no? You don't need to if you're going low-tech, but you will want to dose with Flourish Excel so they have some Co2.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well i already went over my budget what i had the tank in my room and at 430AM it splt the seam and i have to get new carpet (its smell horrid) and padding and a new bed and everything else haha i went way over my budget... but im thinking about running a quad T8 fixture at lowes they are 50 bucks? would this put my a low light? and for the substrate what do you do with the MTS or MG? do you just put it in then put sand or gravel on top of it or what? should i boil it first? then put sand on top? (sorry this would be my first planted tank)

edit: yes i am running co2...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well i got my lights set with i just went out and bought some light at lowes... i will have a tottal of 6 T8 bulbs all which are 6500k so would this put me at a medium light level?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode