75g+36g+20g Tank moves! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (54/100%)
75g+36g+20g Tank moves!

Like the title said, I'm moving to my new place tomorrow. Its going to be an intense move! lol

The intense part will be moving the 75g mainly cause it is the main planted tank with discus, the others house angels and angel fry and are bare bottom.

Going to put my discus in a 5g bucket with a sponge filter during the move, and also I have 6 more 5g jugs to move the cycled tank water.

My theory is that this will be like a 40%-50% water change for them which is what I normally do.

I will fill all the buckets totaling 35g cycled water and then move the tank with minimal amount of water in it while keeping the plants and substrate in as well (removing driftwood).

Move it quick, only about 10 minutes away, then set it up again.

Will do the same with the other tanks but should be much easier since they are a lot smaller.

Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wouldn't worry about transferring your tank water. Tank water contains very tiny and quite unimpactable levels of benificial bacteria. I'd worry more about putting in some sort of battery operated or power operated air pump to keep your current filter media in a bucket with oxygenated moving water. Then throw the media back in your filter and fill up tank, dechlorinate water, and turn on filter and you'll be good to go. No need to transfer 400lbs of tank water. A handful of your substrate if kept wet will have more bacteria on arrival than 30g of tank water
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
If you read the moving advice thread in this section someone said for bigger tanks, like the 75 gallon, it is best to take out your substrate because it could cause the bottom of your tank to crack during transport. I figure since your taking the whole tank apart anyways you might as well do that to. Better to do that and have to spend 30 minutes taking it all out and putting in then to have to replace the tank completely

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode