It starts with a cage containing five monkeys - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
It starts with a cage containing five monkeys

It starts with a cage containing five monkeys.

Inside the cage hangs a banana on a string with a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here.

And that, my friends, is how rules are made in the planted aquarium hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:08 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hell, sounds like my office.....
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphy

Maybe if you're a monkey!

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 AM

Quote:
It starts with a cage containing five monkeys.
Naaa, I'm a newcomer here myself and in digging through all the threads, I've seen all kinds of new ideas introduced, tried, failed and succeed. I've even came up with a few myself. There is no "Statuesque" here, only basic guide lines that are a starting point. Whatever works, works, it may work for me, but not you. What works for you, may not work for me. But all suggestions seem to be welcome here.

Pull up a chair, grab a beer and read awhile. You may be surprised on what all you learn.

Later,

Pharo
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Strange. My friends aren't usually so self-righteous.

You story is entertaining, and I'm sure it relays some sort of lesson, but you're stretching it. The only thing I've ever gotten from following advice on this forum was a beautiful tank and a collection of reliable contacts.

Hope your attempt to rock the boat is just your idiosyncratic way of saying "hello". If your concerned that many are following ineffective dogmatic 'rules', why haven't you offered any alternatives? Cold, MN weather making you cranky ?

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe...

..but...

I started this hobby on 12/24/04 having never had an aquarium or kept a plant alive in my life.

After reading only this board I now have about 20 thriving fish and an aquarium full of plants that are growing so fast I have to trim them twice a week.

No bananas though....so you got that going for ya....
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

I definitely feel like this... "You can't keep goldfish in a planted tank," "You can't have airstones in a planted tank," "If you use brand name fertilizers you have more dollars than sense," etc... often times I feel like I cause nothing but controversy just by posting!
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 07:34 AM
Planted Member

who says you cant keep goldfish? the only problem with them is they are herbivorous....but they leave vals and swords and other thick leaved plants alone... and who says you shouldnt use brand name fertilizers? ther is a reason they are "brand name" cant use airstones? what? obviously you were talking to the wrong people on this site! although there are no monkeys or fruit on this site, there is both controversial and rock solid information. and there are also friendly and less freindly poeple. as with any site or other form of people gatherering to discuss a passion. However, if you sit here and filter the information, and digest other peoples experiences, and listen to a few of the moderators, you will learn a lot. Fish keeping is a trial and error hobby. and if you take out the fifth monkey and add a gorilla, he will eat the banana.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Even here I cause controversy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4funwfish
who says you cant keep goldfish? the only problem with them is they are herbivorous....but they leave vals and swords and other thick leaved plants alone
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13713

Quote:
and who says you shouldnt use brand name fertilizers?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13006

Quote:
cant use airstones? what?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15068
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You ask a question it get's answered what you do with that information it's up to you in the end.
If i saw the bannana i tell you i would go get it thats for sure,But if i don't know how to climb the stair's then i need to ask someone.

Ivano

You can always add but never take.

Aussie Style
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 AM

Quote:
... and if you take out the fifth monkey and add a gorilla, he will eat the banana.
I'm new to this site as well, I hope to be a bit of a gorilla if everyone's collective knowledge fails me. But why should it?

People say that if all the libraries in the world burned down, all societies would be reduced to hunter gatherer status in 2-3 generations... But i dont know what this has to do with gorilllas or fish for that matter.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well, even though Raphly comes off as kind of a smart-aleck, I do like the point of the story... don't just do something a certain way because "so and so said so" or "I read it on a web forum," do some research! If you read some of the aquarium magazines out there, it's actually quite common for them to feature articles from different people who have different ways of doing things.

Personally I feel aquariums are 50% art and 50% science.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
Seems like a lotta monkeys

Hey Hypancistrus...its a forum...its gonna be controversial sometimes cuz most of the time it is a bunch of ppl sharing their experience...rather than an expert always being there answering our questions...

For the most part you are gonna get good information...

I myself have come a long ways with the planted tank hobby through forums

take care all

Ehiem Pimp # 88

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Algae Grower

THe moral of the story is: if you are a new(bee) monkey don't listen to the other monkeys and try it for yourself and you may be rewarded.

Personally I agree that this message does not fit the nature of this board as most people try to share ideas, expiriences and most importantly their knowledge. You get good information from people who have been-there/done-that. I am sure though, monkeys abound, but it's only natural. Sooner are later most of us mature beyond the algae grower monkey stage if we stick around long enough.

Raf
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Controversy is good! That draws out information to prove "BOTH" points of view. I just read earlier "whats good for you may not be good for me" and vise versa, the idea is to glean out what you think may apply in your situation and give it a try. I came here after having had fish for 40 years prior and I'm amazed at how much I didn't know.

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode