Trying to decide which fert to buy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Trying to decide which fert to buy

Hi guys,

For a while now, I have been looking into buying some liquid dosed fertz from either pfertz or overstock. Given the slightly lower cost at pfertz, I was leaning in that direction. But now that I have come to that side, I am unsure which product package to buy. I currently have an 11.4 gallon tank with a 36 watt pc fixture. the tank has a paintball co2 system that I have keeping the drop checker very light green. My tank is composed of mostly stems plants of the rotala variety as well HC. My substrate is MTS caped with flouorite. Given all this, Do you guys think that I shoud go with the medium tech solution or the high tech solution? Also, If I were to use these products, do you guys know how much weekly water change I should go with if dosed as directed in instructions? Thanks guys for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
When it comes to ferts, your best solution is to purchase dry ferts, and mix your own stock solutions. It's really not too difficult, and saves a heap of money over the liquid ferts.

As for high tech verses low tech or medium tech, this is a personal choice. It comes down to what you want out of the system. As you can see from all the post on the forum, both work well, but go about things a bit differently.

Typical water changes, if your using the EI method of dosing is about 50% a week. However, there are plenty of other people that don't use that method, and have great tanks. Again, what do you want out of the system?

The higher tech systems tend to give more plant growth, but you'll end up doing a lot more pruning and maint on the tank.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the response davek. Would the high tech solution from pfertz equate to doing ei dosing? Also, do you think that the medium dosing solution that they offer would be adequate to offset the growth need of my plants under the 36 watt pc light? As for what I want out of my system, I am not looking for outstanding growth in my plants. I just want to help keep my plants nice and healthy which is why I am looking to add fertz. If I can get healthy looking plants with just the medium solution with my current lighting then that's is what I would go with. So, what I really want is healthy plants under my current lighting. thanks for the advice and anymore you have

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh and the reason why I am trying for liquid rather than dry fertz is because I am currently living in a college dorm. because of this, I would like to keep my supply/tool stuff to a minimum to save space. Also, I like the convenience of the liquid fertz too. Thanks for the dry fertz suggestion though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode