Sun Burn plants?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Sun Burn plants??

I have a thirty gallon tall aquarium next to a window, so in the morning the tank gets a few little spears of light. I have really crappy lighting at the moment because on of the light fixtures is on the fritz, and I have to figure out how to get it working again, so I've only got about 15 watts. I noticed that the plants on the sunny side of the tank were getting strage spots and holes, so I though my pleco was eating them. I went to the LFS, and they told me it was more than likely my nusiance snails, so I bought a couple assasins. They ate all the snails and the problem still persisted. The plants on the shady side are doing great!
I am using some liquid fertilizer with waterchanges and have about 11 tetras and 3 gourami's in the tank.
Could it be the sun that is burning holes in my leaves?
I cannot move the fish tank, so what options do I have to deal with the sun, besideds buying a big fake plant to block some of the light??
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
its very rare when u sun bleach a plant an highly unlikely just from sun though a window, my tank gets full sun all day id look into if it is being eatin by the pleco or another fish or a nutrient deficiency ( are u using any ferts). what type of light is it? watts varys depending on the fixture so they type of light then wattage helps give a much better assessment, 15w might be to low of light but with the sun light might have enough to sustain it, are there any other plants if so what kind and are they doing ok or having issues to? is it on all leaves or starts at the bottom of the plant? all these little things can help give much better advice on what is likely your issue. so any of that info will help an list your fauna as they could be the cause to, hope it helps ya get it figured out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

The photos don't work for me.

It is possible that there is too much light and too little CO2 and other nutrients. Also that plants were quickly exposed to high light. You can screen the sun with a cloth, white paper or something else. I had this issue with outside aquariums in full sun...

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The photos don't work because they are 5 years old and the poster has probably deleted the hosting account.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ha, funny... I thought this showed up in the New Posts section so I did not bother to check the date. Maybe it was openened after a search.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode