Water in LFS fish tanks. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Water in LFS fish tanks.

Just wondering how does the water system work in LFS. I see water goes out of one pipe and comes in from another. Do the stores reuse the water (central storage) and redistributes it to all the tanks? Basically what I'm getting at is if I see a sick fish (ich for example) in one tank does that mean other tanks are at risk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
most stores ive been to use that method where all the tanks are connected to a central system, and one tank with ich puts all the others at risk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Depending on the number of tanks, there may be more than one system, with each supporting many tanks. I've noticed that when tanks are marked "not for sale" due to disease, it's always a group of them right next to each other; but not all of them.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I worked at a fish store in college and they used a massive sump. All freshwater tanks were connected to this sump. If one fish was sick then most of the fish got sick or the sick fish were culled off or if lucky treated. But most of the time people just came in and bought sick fish and whatever the appropriate treatment for the disease was.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
l
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
They're all different, in my experiences. Some have tanks that are all connected to a big filter and sterilizer system, others do it in rows, and so on. It's best to just ask beforehand if you see something alarming in one of the tanks.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Most pet stores use the same nets and maintenance equipment in all the tanks, so it doesn't really matter whether the tanks are quarantined or not. As soon as they net out a dead fish from the sick tank, the net will spread the disease to any tank it's used on afterwards.

Proud member of
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
The store i go to here in japan connects about every three tanks or the whole row to a sump that sits below and is filtered b4 the water return to those tanks.

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
wow, I have never seen a sick tank at any lfs. One time my friend & I were at Petsmart and the tanks were freaky cloudy looking - when we asked about it, the salesperson said they had just done their routine medicating - that was encouraging. But the mom & pop lfs across the street just got snotty with me when I mentioned one of their tanks had several (about 1/2 of the tank) fish dying/dead in it. It was very unappealing to say the least. When I walked up to the counter I must have had a look on my face because the salesman said "yea, I know, I know - dead fish, right?" as sarcastic as can be.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yea the one I visited yesterday had a fish with massive amount of ich (or could be velvet, not an expert ) on it. White bumpy dots everywhere even on its fins. Few other fish had lesser amount. This was a big fish too, so it was pretty disgusting staring at it. I think it's some kind of striped Tang. Even though it's saltwater it deterred me from buying some freshwater items.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
My lfs uses individual sponge filters for each tank. Our nets are kept in a bucket of methylene blue to prevent cross contamination.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
My lfs uses individual sponge filters for each tank. Our nets are kept in a bucket of methylene blue to prevent cross contamination.
This is how my lfs is except they use individual underground filters. They also dip their nets in meth blue.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't know if I should mention the store name but it's the one on Delancy st. in Manhattan. I think most NYers here know which store I'm referring to. Wonder how does this store handle their water?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'd assume that these shops are running UV Sterilizers to kill whatever dieseses or parasites are in the water if they are running a sump style filter
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
yea, don't name names ; )

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
The petsmart I worked at had 13 rows of UVs and treated all the tanks once a week. Never saw ich in the main system.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode