moving 250l planted tank journal
ok so i am moving house this weekend and thought i might keep track on how things go and what mistakes i make. might help someone out.
ok so first thing i did before i even moved was get the new substrate that i am going to use, richgro aquatic potting mix for ponds. i would prefer to use something like flourite or eco complete but way to expensive here in australia and the richgro was $10 for a 20lbs bag. very dusty so i got that rinsed (which took forever).
ok so substrate check. over the top i am going to use black crushed quartz, again very dusty, more bloody rinsing!! ok so now thats done. i am going to be using some slow release fertliser tabs under the richgro so i got them organised.
With all that done i started thinking about the fish and what they would need. i went to coles and they gave me a styrofoam box for free, Bonus!! then the lfs gave me some fish bags for the move. i asked all my friends to collect as many empty softdrink bottles as possible for me so that i could keep as much of the old water as possible.
great so i got the substrate, the fish and the water taken care of. now for my canister filter. i knew that i couldnt have that turned off for long so that will be the last thing off and the first thing back on.
ok so on with the move. the night before the move i put an extra air stone into the tank to increase the o2 levels as much as possible for the fish. i started with taking all my plants and placing them in a few bags with a little water. next i started filling up the 2L softdrink bottle that my friends gave me and ended up keeping 60Litres (1/5 of the old water) not to bad.
i started siphoning out the water. Down to about 3" of water. now to catch all the fish. that took about an hour and a half (yoyo louches and bristlenose are the worst). I still had the canister filter going so i turned that off and siphoned out the rest of the water.
with that done i scooped out the sand that had been in there for over 3 years. that took a bit of effort but now the fish are out and in their bags in the styrofoam box, the filter is ready to go, the new substrate is there waiting for me and the plants were bagged.
the new house
first thing that i did was rerinse all the richgro and quartz sand. i got the stand and the tank sitting where i wanted them and positioned the fertiliser tablets where they needed to be. I put in the richgro and gravel and graded it to slope deeper towards the back. Now for the saved water. With that in, next i started filling the tank 3/4 full. i put in the heater and got the canister filter going again. I floated the fish in the tank and started repositioning the hardscape and the plants.
with the fish floating and the plants in i though i might do a water test. wow was the PH high, 7.8. ok so now to add peat to the canister filter to try and bring that down. i let the fish out of the bags after they had been floated for about 45mins. no real dramas there other then loosing 6 mollies and 3 glass shrimp.
water was a bit cloudy but that is to be expected.
i will keep you guys posted on how things progress over the following weeks and try to upload some pics