Paypal friendly aquarium sites? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Paypal friendly aquarium sites?

I like using Paypal for certain aquarium purchases because I keep a little pocket of reserve money in it for aquarium purchases...

So, I'm wondering which sites have you found accept Paypal. The sites with more variety of merchandise (not just plants), the better.

So far I've found:

Aquariumpros.com
Superfishstore.com
Marinedepot.com

Others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should be aware that if you use cash reserves in your PayPal account, you are giving up the ultimate protection a credit card purchase offers. It's better to keep your PayPal balance at zero, then you have the option of using a credit card to fund the purchase.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:48 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like PayPal but I hate credit cards, they are evil... Besides I have never heard of any PayPal security breaches, have you ?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually when eBay bought PayPal, eBay (who has had security issues) they gained access to every members finacial information, bank accounts etc. Both companies have been accused of selling that info, and of course there's the way that PayPal operates which has resulted in numerous suits and state actions.

I wouldn't worry Buck
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
glass-gardens,

I totally understand what you are saying about credit card security vs. paypal. For all of my "big" purchases, I have used my credit card and bought from places like Big Al's and Dr. Foster Smith. But for $50 worth of odds & ends (food, pad replacements, etc.) I guess I just like the idea of paying for it out of a little reserve of money I've earned from plant & hardware sales. That way, I put limits on myself and only buy things when I've accumulated enough money in my paypal. I could always still buy the stuff with a credit card and move the paypal funds to my bank account to later pay for the credit card bill... but maybe it's just psychological It's one less expense popping up on my credit card making me feel guilty
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I've had a Paypal account for over a year and even had a small "business" that used it and I have never had any problems. The only annoying thing is that you need to have the "Premium" account in order to accept payments via credit card. The difference between "Premium" and "regular/free" accounts are that you pay a hefty % to Paypal of every payment that comes in. This can get expensive if you have the Premium, but you pay nothing with the "regular". Just my $0.02 shpeel. I don't really use Paypal much anymore, partially for that reason.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I dont think I ever had more then 50 bucks in there anyways... LOL

Just some Chump change for plants and ferts...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just purchased a light from Hellolights.com with paypal, and CSM+B from Gregwatson.com.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
My SO sells a lot on eBay so we have a fairly active PP account.
I have a Paypal Debit (it is directly tied to funds avail) card that uses the mastercard network, such that any site that accepts MC, it will work at, and I get their little 1.5% cash back...which is really just a reduction in fees to me.

Here is their blurb on it:
"For which debit card purchases will I receive this 1.5% cashback bonus?"
You will receive 1.5% cashback anytime you use your PayPal MasterCard for a credit card purchase (i.e. when you sign a receipt rather than entering your PIN).

I don't remember if I had to do something special to get it, but I've had it for ages (in internet time) now, just about since ebay first started accepting PP.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have any credit cards,I paid them off, I do have a logo debit card which works anywhere a CC will.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
I dont think I ever had more then 50 bucks in there anyways... LOL
They made a bit of change off me, I moved over $50K through my business account last year, but I'm getting a merchant account through my bank, I'm done with PayPal, it's becoming a liability.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
They made a bit of change off me, I moved over $50K through my business account last year, but I'm getting a merchant account through my bank, I'm done with PayPal, it's becoming a liability.
$50k through PP!!! Merchant account all the way - just be mindful of the actual fees that some charge...especially if you accept Amex - they historically incurred higher fees

And while we are on the topic...some consumer tips for those who may not know...

Visa's and MasterCard's regulations prohibit minimum charge amounts. American Express's regulations do not explicitly prohibit minimum charges, but its policy is to discourage any merchant practices that create a "barrier to acceptance."
Amex does prohibit "discrimination" against the Amex card, however, so if a merchant has no minimum charge for Visa and MasterCard, the merchant may not discriminate against Amex by imposing a minimum charge.

Also:
The following states prohibit merchants from adding surcharges to credit card transactions
* California
* Colorado
* Connecticut
* Florida
* Kansas
* Maine
* Massachusetts
* New York
* Oklahoma
* Texas

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

At the time I set up my PayPal account, I was rather naive, but the merchant accounts didn't seem all that great at the time either. But then the majority of what came in also went back out through the debit card with the 1.5% so that helped a bit.

My bank didn't want to open a merchant account until I had a brick and mortar operation, that took longer than I though, but that issues settled.

Another PayPal heads up for buyers. Sellers who use PayPal to accept payments can not add a surcharge for PayPal payments, it's amazing how many try.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Just a note here. If you are a CostCo member and need a business account then check out CostCo. Here is the direct link to the info http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=10166089

For mail order it's 1.99% + 27 per transaction. And if you are an Executive member there are a bunch of fees that are waived.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Paypal is just as safe as any type of online transaction. I thought Troy was talking about the buyer protection CCs have and paypal also now has buyer protection.

Quote:
Visa's and MasterCard's regulations prohibit minimum charge amounts. American Express's regulations do not explicitly prohibit minimum charges, but its policy is to discourage any merchant practices that create a "barrier to acceptance."
That may be true, but that does not have anything to do with a online store having a minimum purchase requirement for whatever way you pay for it.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode