So I started my first planted tank the last week of July, a humble 25 gallon. Started with some flourite, dirt, and a couple simple plants.
Very first tank shot, just a couple of days after initial setup. This point i had nothing but a sword, java fern, and something else I never identified. Within a few weeks once the water cleared up I added some driftwood and rocks for some hardscaping.
At this point I was using a small nutrafin Co2 system, having nothing but problems. Slowly learning about DIY Co2.
After a trip to my LFS for some new plants I came up with this.
Getting tired of the tank always being so dark and dreary I decided to switch to a play sand cap with the flourite and dirt mix underneath. I also switched the background to a sandplasted piece of plexi to steer away from the black.
At this point I had two new 6,500k bulbs on timers, and a much better DIY Co2 setup which was doing wonders. Lots of pearling, fast growth, and nice crystal clear water. I also started adding flourish for micros.
And now. This is the most recent shot of the tank (about 5 minutes ago). The tank is full of water wisteria, baby java ferns everywhere, nice large swords, and a carpet of dwarf sag in the process. The tank is full of tetras, CAE, SAE, and a dwarf pleco all happy and healthy. I've also started using champagne yeast in 2 2L bottles with a elite mini powerhead difusing the crap out of it.
Sorry for the pad pics, I dont have a very good camera.
I've had a hell of a lot of fun learning all of this. I have a long way to go though, tons of new equipment to work with and bigger tanks to plant lol.
Thanks to everyone in this forum for all of the help as well. Quite a few things would'nt have been possible without some of your help!