Some General questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some General questions

Okay, so I am planning on a new tank for Christmas, around a 30-40 gallon tank.

I would like it to be between a low tech and a high tech tank. I am having some trouble deciding on lighting, wood, and the substrate.

I know I would definitely be keeping Java Fern, Crypts, Anubias, Dwarf hair grass, and hopefully some stem plants.

My first question is, what kind of lights do I use? I was planning on a dual T5 system, but if I purchased a 37 gallon tank that would barely be breaking 2 WPG, so is it even worth it? I know the plants I listed above are generally slow growing, but I would like to grow my plants at a faster rate then I am in my current very low light tank.

Second, what kind of substrate is reasonable yet great for planted tanks? I would like Amazonia ADG substrate, but I don't know if there is anything cheaper at a cheaper cost.

Third, what kind of Co2 would I want to quickly grow the plants listed above? Would I even need Co2 with the moderate lighting?

Fourth, in my current tank I have mopani wood and I hate it. It has been leaking tannins for 5 months. What kind of wood would look great and not leak so many tannin? I even soaked my wood for two weeks before putting it in! Also on that thought, where could I get some cool rocks?

Lastly, What other plants could I grow that would grow at a moderate rate? (Sometimes I get so boring waiting for my anubias to grow a new leaf)

Thank you so much, and sorry for all the questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
For your first question what kind of dual T5 system are you going for HO(high output) or NO(normal output)
Second question I use Eco complete but people swear up and down about amazonis soil. Maybe you can do a dirt tank.
Third question since it looks like you're going low tech CO2 injection wouldnt really be nessecary. You could use a carbon alternate like flourish excel. You could also go pressurized or DIY
Fourth question I think manzanita wood doesn't leech tannins. I know some forum members sell it in the SnS section
Last question try starting out with some rotala rotundifolia. It's an easy moderate grower
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't look at light as "watts per gallon". Look at it as a type of lighting, T8, T5NO, T5HO, MH, etc. Then look at the sticky in the lighting section for a chart showing one way to pick which of those types of lights to use. (It won't be a 2 bulb T5HO light.)

Hoppy

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Welcome to the site.

There's a wealth of info on this site, take some time, read the threads in the various forums about the topics you need help with.

Right now it's a 30 or a 40gl. Nail down what fits the space. Before you read hoppy's light sticky (which should be required reading) You best going into that with tank height and type of plants...then plug in the light amt info.

Then your off the the bottom of the tank read the substrate forum. That should keep you busy 'till tuesday.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
For your first question what kind of dual T5 system are you going for HO(high output) or NO(normal output)
Second question I use Eco complete but people swear up and down about amazonis soil. Maybe you can do a dirt tank.
Third question since it looks like you're going low tech CO2 injection wouldnt really be nessecary. You could use a carbon alternate like flourish excel. You could also go pressurized or DIY
Fourth question I think manzanita wood doesn't leech tannins. I know some forum members sell it in the SnS section
Last question try starting out with some rotala rotundifolia. It's an easy moderate grower
I would be using a HO T5 output system

And thank you everyone! I will check out the topics you recommended.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardman12 View Post
I would be using a HO T5 output system

And thank you everyone! I will check out the topics you recommended.
A dual T5HO on a 20-40 is probably going to put you into the high light category. Like the others have stated, W/P/G just isn't a good rule with modern lighting. With light like that the tank is gonna require a lot of maintenance, and almost certainly some CO2 injection. Your building an algae farm.

As far as reasonably cheap substrate...depends on your definition of reasonable. I like dirt. Basically 1-1 1/2 of Miracle Grow Organic (mixed with a tiny bit of clay) and covered with whatever kind of rocks or sand you want. I figure my household plants like it, why not?

As far as driftwood goes, I find if you spend a day boiling it you don't encounter tannins. Granted, not all pieces can easily be boiled...but it worked great for me.

I just recently wanted to see what all the Co2 hub-bub was about, so I spent a half hour putting together a DIY yeast/sugar injector. It's been going for 3 days now...not sure how effective it's been, but I wanted to try it. If you decide injecting C02 is something you want to do all the time your probably better off getting a proper kit.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Even if I got a 37 tall tank? I know the WPG rule is outdated, but that would only be like 62 watts over a 37 tall... but then again you guys know more than me. And for Co2 I was thinking about the Fluval Flora 80 kit?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Even if I got a 37 tall tank? I know the WPG rule is outdated, but that would only be like 62 watts over a 37 tall... but then again you guys know more than me. And for Co2 I was thinking about the Fluval Flora 80 kit?
I don't know much about lights at all to be honest. I'm just glad I read a a lot before I went out and bought a bunch of stuff that was overkill for me. The T5HO is probably still a bit much, even for a 37 tall from what I understand. Now, a lot of people buy that fixture (cause it is awesome) and hang it a few inches above the aquarium. That might work.

My tank is in my media room (man cave) so hanging lights is simply out of the question for me. Right now I'm running 2 17w T8s (an 8000k and a 6000k) on a 29 tall and I keep having to shorten my light cycle to avoid algae. My plants are growing like crazy. Do the math...I'm at like 1.12 w/p/g.

I have no clue about good C02 kits. That said, the CO2 is where it's at...meaning if your going to throw money into something let it be CO2. Steroids for plants (hat tip to Hoppy).
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Check out this thread before you buy.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...-hobbyist.html
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so I'm thinking, if I don't buy an Co2 system, than i'll just use one of the bulbs. I really can't afford a Co2 system, nor do I have the time to constantly be pruning. (Studying to make skip algebra 1 in freshman year consumes all my time -__-)

Thanks for everything guys! I can't wait to get this tank!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
You could always just do a simple DIY CO2 system
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
You could always just do a simple DIY CO2 system
This. It is really easy.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The only thing is, this tank will be in my parent's dining room and I don't think homemade tubing and soda bottles will fly... but I'll definitely look into it more.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The only thing is, this tank will be in my parent's dining room and I don't think homemade tubing and soda bottles will fly... but I'll definitely look into it more.
Hide it, lol.

I wouldn't recommend it for a long term solution...but it's too easy not to try in the beginning. Cut small hole in 2 liter bottle lid, stuff airline tubing into said hole (ensure it's airtight and only protruding 1/2 inch from the top). 2 cups sugar, teaspoon yeast, luke warm water...put all in said 2 liter, fill up 3/4 way...cap, and add airstone to other end of tube, place in tank. Co2 for a couple weeks.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds good. Is there any actual systems you would recommend for under $200?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode