Converting a NANO 24 DX ~Help~ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Converting a NANO 24 DX ~Help~

WHats going on everyone? I saw a picture the other day of a beautifull tank that had "grass" on the bottom of the tank and I thought how beautifull it looked and would love to do something similiar. I looked up some info and ordered a book on aquarium plants, as I never had live plants before, and want to get this project going this weekend.

I can read book after book but what have you learned that you would tell me? THings NOT to use or do and things TO do?

THanks and I hope to be a regular poster here.

Best Regards

Signature removed due to forum violation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well aquarium plants, like real plants need light, CO2, food.

There are many ways to go about providing the three things above. First, do you have anything in your tank now? What type of lights are with it?

Planted tanks usually take 2 routes. Low tech, meaning getting lower light plants, having low light on them. In this case, you don't need CO2 usually and if you have some fish in there, the fish breath oxygen, expell CO2, fish poop and left over food can provide most of the nutrients the plants need, etc.

A high tech system has very high lights, when the plants grow fast because of high lights, they need CO2, so you need some sort of external CO2 from a pressurized cylinder, they grow fast, need more nutrients, so you get into dosing lots of extra stuff into the water, etc.

So first, tell us about your tank now, everything you have, and what kind of budget you want to spend to get this setup and going and how much time you're willing to put. IE. High tech setups meaning watching CO2 levels, doing lots more waterchanges to refresh the nutrients, lots of trimming of plants as they grow and don't choke out other plants or anything, etc. A low tech requires fast less maintenance, but plants don't grow as fast, there are certain plants you can't grow, etc.

There is also some middle ground in there, so again, list everything you have currently, budget, time you want to spend, etc. Also, where abouts are you in Canada?

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode