Cycling a tank question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cycling a tank question

I have a pond where I have a bio filter, can I use one of the bio balls to introduce beneficial bacteria to my new tank? Is there a concern for introducing something from my pond into the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I remember reading a post about this not too long ago. You might want to search the forum here but I don't remember what was said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I would use more than one. But yes you can use the bio balls to help jump start the cycling process.

Semper Fi

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
My tank won't be up and running for a few more days do you think I could take the filter media from my aquarium filter and put it in my pond filter so the bacteria can grow on it?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Yeah that will work fine too
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
absolutely!

allot of people don't like to add local fish stores water with theirs when they buy new fish plants ect. but i do hoping to make my tank stronger and more... evolved?

also if you wanna fork the cash u can buy bacteria in a bottle but keep in fridge after open.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmess View Post

also if you wanna fork the cash u can buy bacteria in a bottle but keep in fridge after open.
I've heard that that stuff was a one time use. Once the seal is broken you use it all. Not sure, that's just what the LFS guy told me.

I personally am using bacteria from my 55g to jump start my 125g. 4 Days in.

Semper Fi
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmess View Post
absolutely!

allot of people don't like to add local fish stores water with theirs when they buy new fish plants ect. but i do hoping to make my tank stronger and more... evolved?

Water from another tank will do about as much as tap water. Plants, mulm, media, etc. are what you need for seeding a tank. And using water from a lfs is double trouble. You are just inviting parasites, worms, and everything else you don't want. It's essentially doing the opposite of a quarantine. I don't mean to pick on you, but it's probably the worst think you could do besides dump bleach in a tank.

This is personal opinion, but if bacteria will die in a filter once water hasn't been flowing through it for a few hours, why would bacteria last in a sealed bottle?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What about outdoor pests like Hydra, etc.?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
i have tried seachem stability to see if it would cylce a tank as advertised even with fish from the beginning. I noticed that while the product seemed to take care of Ammonia nice and fast, maybe within 1.5-2days, it was unable to take of the nitrite that spiked after. Not sure what experiences others have had with this product but this is just my own personal input.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveflying View Post
i have tried seachem stability to see if it would cylce a tank as advertised even with fish from the beginning. I noticed that while the product seemed to take care of Ammonia nice and fast, maybe within 1.5-2days, it was unable to take of the nitrite that spiked after. Not sure what experiences others have had with this product but this is just my own personal input.
I have never used a bottled product to solve issues like cloudy water, cycling or similar issues. But that isn't to say they don't work.

I know there are different types of beneficial bacteria so maybe they do work great, or partially, like you noticed.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nothing, and I mean nothing, works as well as filter media from an established filter - this guarantees the introduction of healthy bacteria of both types and does not just speed up the cycle - i cycles it instantly - if fish load is higher then the amount of bacteria introduced it will multiply to catch up very rapidly.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignOfFred View Post
Nothing, and I mean nothing, works as well as filter media from an established filter - this guarantees the introduction of healthy bacteria of both types and does not just speed up the cycle - i cycles it instantly - if fish load is higher then the amount of bacteria introduced it will multiply to catch up very rapidly.
+1. I've always stocked my tanks on day one. I've used lots of plants, and established filters without problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode