fishing your aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
fishing your aquarium

Quick! how do all you planted tank owners catch your fish in your planted tank. mine looks like this

and everytime i try and catch my fish they all hide in the needle java fern or in my rotala forest. they even weave in and out of my dhg! i just rescaped everything and did a major water change so im not looking forward to uprooting plants and draining the tank. i thought about doing it before i go to bed so they wont be active or during dinner time when they come to the surface. any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
If they come to the top to eat, you can leave the net in to let them get used to it, and then add some food, when they come up, the net comes up behind them. Gotta be good on the first shot as they will figure it out quickly. They don't have much in the way of long term memory so you can try again in 30 min or so.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
I had to use 2 nets in order to catch my little Danios, them suckers are FAST!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I have to use two nets, too. It's like herding cattle.

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
drain water to an inch or so.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
2 nets and patience. lol. Its 10x more fun draining and redoing the substrate in a shrimp tank with a 100 or so babies around in there. Sitting there with a turkey baster for hours.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I have to use two nets, too. It's like herding cattle.
Herding cattle is easy...herding cats, that's what I think it's like, lol.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my 90g I live by a phylosophy of; "Once they in they gonna die there"...lol
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

put food in a vase or some other vessel, when they enter it tip it out. I just use a cup that I put the frozen brine shrimp in and it works easily enough.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
In my 90g I live by a phylosophy of; "Once they in they gonna die there"...lol
That's my motto too but I really want angel fish so I'm trading all my tetras in for a pair of beautiful angels. 6 serpaes, 6 black skirt, and 5 bleeding heart tetras. I'll miss them
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Theres a lady at one of my LFS.. No matter the size of the tank.. no matter how large or small the fish, how heavily planted. No matter how fast they are, how far apart, or how many you want. She can and will always.. always catch them in asingle swift movement... I swear shes magic or somehting
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I use a huge 3 liter bottle trap which is a larger equivalent to a minnow/shrimp trap. If you place food in this bottle and place it in the tank the fish will literally swim right in the bottle and will be unable to leave before you pull the bottle out. Directions to make the trap can be found here but you will want a much larger bottle and when you place it in the tank you will want to lay the bottle on its side. I have an extremely planted tank and the fish just come to me. I gave up a LONG time ago on trying to net fish with dual nets, draining water, or using giant nets....

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Two nets and learning their escape routines. I had to catch 5 cherry barbs and 3 black neons in my planted tank. The barbs I would corner with two nets, eventually they would just back into one. The neons, I would pull the net out, wait for them to come to the top and just swoop in hella fast. Worked pretty well when I figured all that out lol. Don't bother chasing them, you're not fast enough.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The best is trying to net shrimp. I put the net in, the shrimp climbs on the rim and soon as I try and jerk it and pull him out, they jump off everytime. They taunt me.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
I use a huge 3 liter bottle trap which is a larger equivalent to a minnow/shrimp trap. If you place food in this bottle and place it in the tank the fish will literally swim right in the bottle and will be unable to leave before you pull the bottle out. Directions to make the trap can be found here but you will want a much larger bottle and when you place it in the tank you will want to lay the bottle on its side. I have an extremely planted tank and the fish just come to me. I gave up a LONG time ago on trying to net fish with dual nets, draining water, or using giant nets....
I used the trap you are referring to however I used a regular two liter bottle because it was all I had. I was able to catch around 90 fish in less then an hour and without a drop of water on the floor. I attached a little fishing line to the edge so I could just drop it in the tank and the pull it up once it was full of fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode