Cloudy water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water?

So it has only been a day but I am noticing my water is showing cloudiness when it never did before. Is this do to driftwood and will go away or something else? I am only running 32 watts until I save money for plants. I do already have the lights for it just not running. I also have a UV on it and the filtration is a wet/dry. very basic. ----Suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
When did you set up the tank?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalawai2000 View Post
When did you set up the tank?
Answer this question, and we'll try and help you out.

If it's been set up for a while, and you have recently changed something - stirred up the substrate, for example - or whatever, it could be a bacteria bloom. Let us know.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
Quote:
So it has only been a day but I am noticing my water is showing cloudiness when it never did before. Is this do to driftwood and will go away or something else?
So, I am going to assume that either you have JUST set the tank up or you have introduced your driftwood. So lets go over both seperately.

If your tank is new and only been set up a day then you are experiencing your "cycle". Please see here for information on cycling and what it entails.

If your adding driftwood to your tank and your water is clouding then you are having a mini cycle because your driftwood is dirty or it has introduced a foreign substance to your tank. Is your driftwood cured? Where did you find it? Did you clean it prior putting it in your tank? Check here for proper driftwood procedures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK Sorry for the confusion! The tank is 3 and 1/2 years old. This is my first attempt on going the "real look". I have a 100gal mixed with tetras, barbs,rasps. They all been getting along for over 3 years now. I bought a 4' piece of driftwood from my lfs that is reliable. I cured it by soaking then draining and rinsing every 3 days till I saw the water was no longer brown and the wood sank. About a month and a half. I just put it in the tank with no other changes yet.

Now it is starting to have a green tint to the water like green water aglea but I have a 3 month old bulb in my UV and never had this problem till now...just wander what is going on and if I get plant -food and increas the light whats to come..

Thanks
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

So... the cloudy water you're talking about is green? - Appears to be algae bloom.
Is your UV sterilizer in the tank & operating ?
If not, put it in & get it running - assuming it's still operating, even with a 3 year old bulb. Should clear things up in a few days.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
So, I am going to assume that either you have JUST set the tank up or you have introduced your driftwood. So lets go over both seperately.

If your tank is new and only been set up a day then you are experiencing your "cycle". Please see here for information on cycling and what it entails.

If your adding driftwood to your tank and your water is clouding then you are having a mini cycle because your driftwood is dirty or it has introduced a foreign substance to your tank. Is your driftwood cured? Where did you find it? Did you clean it prior putting it in your tank? Check here for proper driftwood procedures.
While the principle is correct with the cycling article, you don't want to use fish to cycle your tank. Unless you like slowly torturing something until it (most often) dies. A better method is dosing pure ammonia, or a substrate like ADA AS that leaches ammonia.

OP, did you change anything besides adding the driftwood? I could see tannins, even after soaking the wood for 1.5 months, but green or cloudy water doesn't really jive.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
So... the cloudy water you're talking about is green? - Appears to be algae bloom.
Is your UV sterilizer in the tank & operating ?
If not, put it in & get it running - assuming it's still operating, even with a 3 year old bulb. Should clear things up in a few days.
Again sorry for the confusion. I have had this UV for 3 and 1/2 years. changed the bulb 3 months ago

Quote:
OP, did you change anything besides adding the driftwood? I could see tannins, even after soaking the wood for 1.5 months, but green or cloudy water doesn't really jive.
I just put it in the tank with no other changes.

Cloudiness seems to subside but green water still there. Barely though no one else seems to notice but me. Am I crazy?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't believe you're crazy if you see green water.
I'm still confused about the UV - ok, now we know you have a 3 month old bulb in it - great, but is it up & running in your tank ? If it isn't, get it in there, start it up and let it run 24/7 for a few days & see if that clears it up in your eyes.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Understood...
I Have A UV Light On My 100gal Tank. It Has Been Up And Running For 3 And A Half Years. I Just Changed The Bulb 3 Months Ago As You Are Supposed To Every Year Or So. It Is And Has Always Been Running In My Tank. The Only Thing Different Is The Wood
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Assuming it's a good brand UV sterilizer, it has been and is now running in your tank, it should clear up the green water. If it doesn't do the job in a few days, take it out, give it a good thorough cleaning throughout, including the impeller housing, and try it again.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok Thanks discus. That does make more sense. I have change the bulb but neglected to clean it out. Don't know why I didn't just forgot I guess.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
good water circulation and proper biological filtration are key elements to keeping green water down.

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode