What the big deal with snils - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What the big deal with snils

I was wander why every planted tank owner HATES snails.. The quarantine to make sure they are snail free.. Is this cuz they eat the plants or just cuz they over populate? I was thinking about getting some plants but am scared.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Some people like snails, some dont. Some can be a pest as they over populate. Some will eat your plants.
Don't be afraid, if you get a few snails you might not ever have a problem. If they do become a problem or decide you don't want any in the tank you can get a cloan loach or two or even some assassin snails. All the other snails will become dinner.

Semper Fi
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Algae Grower

When i first started the hobby, i was also under this impression. There are common snails out there that dont harm plant tissue such as Malaysian Trumpet Snails, Red Ramshorns and a variety of different nerite snails. These Snails are considered beneficial as some of them churn the substrate lightly while not uprooting plants.........plus they eat algae. I have these small pea shaped snails in one of my tanks that dont harm my plants, i dont know what type they are.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Don't get the clown loach unless you have the space for him as he grows to be a foot long. Assassin snails work wonders. If you don't want to get assassin snails, you can cut off a piece of cucumber, let it sit at the bottom of the tank for 24 hours, the snails will congregate on the cucumber overnight, and you can pull it out the next day. That will take out a good majority of them, but I don't see them as a problem as they do help out with removing algae and dead leaves off plants. But that also depends on the species as there are some that do eat plants so you have to be careful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like snails - the are part of the ecosystem of my tank.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
imo.. depends on the snail. nerite. im ok with them.. limpets, apple, ramshorn. a few others i've seen that i dont know the name off. they multiply like crazy and can become unsightly if u dont wanna see a a bunch of sticky globs on ur glass. MTS im okay with them as they stay hidden

LIMPETS ARE THE WORST.. they aren't big enough to eat anything so they multiply by the 1000000ssss there absolutely can be no overfeeding, or algae anywhere or BOOOM
they are the size of a ballpoint pen head.
im still working on a cure for my 10 gallon shrimp tank

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have MTS in my tank. Started out as a hitchhiker. I am happy that they hitchhiked, because I read MTS are good for the tank. Plus, i seldom see any of them during the day (most of them bury in the soil once my lights is on).

|
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahhh. thanks for the info
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like snails... Some dont like the Bladder and Trumpet snails because they breed like crazy.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't mind snails but they do become plentiful. I have a 5 gallon planted tank with a pea puffer in it. All the snails I pull from the other tanks go in there and he spends all day hunting snails. Very cute to watch him hunt, I think very nutritious for him, and makes a good use of all the snails. The bladder snails are actually quite beautiful, and I think it's better Karma that they go into the food chain rather than in the trash.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
Don't get the clown loach unless you have the space for him as he grows to be a foot long.
True, I forgot how big they do get. I'm used to seeing little ones at the LFS.

Semper Fi
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I scoop them out when they feed on a sinking wafer for a few days. Problem solved.

People using dewormers to get rid of snails are taking drastic measures like a using a hammer to swat a fly. You get broken furniture too.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
chained loaches or zebra loaches are a useful solution for some snails. zerba get to 4 inches chained stay around 3 inches
i had 4 zebras and they were very cool fishies

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

good idea.. I do have a 100gal so Just did not want an out of control issue.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
I like snails - the are part of the ecosystem of my tank.
This is how I feel too. I really enjoy my snails and I do have gazillions. I've never had them affect my tank in any negative way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode