Need help with water level and sump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Need help with water level and sump

Okay so after a little set back I got the tank back up and wet again. Anyway I redid the sump and now I'm a little unsure how to get my water level in the main tank to the top but keep the safety I have now of not overflowing the sump/main tank in the event of a power failure.
I'm pretty sure that I can lower the siphon pipe down some and drill holes for a water break. I'm lost on exactly how to do it. Maybe I'm having a dumb day but I can't think tonight.
Tank 125g
sump 29g
PVC piping, 90 deg over the top.

The water level in the main tank is 2 1/4 inches lower than I would like. How do I get the water level up that amount but not flood the sump. Can I extend my siphon a few inches but drill holes that the current length for an air brake?

EDIT, lets pick this up tomorrow. I didn't think about the fact that I just put in a new gate valve and need to get that dialed in right. Hopefully I can get it right tomorrow and get an acurate measurement from top and sump level with new pics.

Semper Fi

Last edited by SlammedDC2; 10-26-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The level of the overflow is how you control the water level in the main tank. With an unbroken siphon, you either have to perfectly tune the siphon to the return (I wish you the best of luck!) or seal the sump airtight.

Some people use a siphon with an external overflow box. This method combines the best of both worlds, but requires extra equipment and space between the rear of the tank and the wall.

Some have also used a pump that outpaces the drain and used a float switch to cycle it. This works under normal operation, but has no safety margin should there be a power loss. With a siphon, you will either overflow the sump or break siphon, or both if the power goes out, or the siphon outpaces the return pump.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
My return pump will outpace the siphon with the gate valve wide open. I'm pretty sure I've got it balanced out now, won't know for sure til I get home from work.

Semper Fi

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
build a standpipe system. with a 3 pipe system it can be tuned easily and has redundancy built in for safety margins. it requires and overflow box but it is eternally quite if done right, and is absolutely safe, PLUS u don't have to regulate ur pump.
3 pipe system. one is full siphon, one is trickle, one is emergency overflow
ur pump controls how much water makes it down the pipes

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode