Ever leave a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ever leave a tank?

Well I was just wondering who here has left a tank for a little bit, and anxiously waited to see how much it evolved. Were you surprised with its growth?

Back story: 7 weeks ago I moved back to NH. This weekend I plan on making the journey back home to NJ, where I have a 29 gallon set up. When I left, the tank had been set up for about 2 months. My parents agreed to "take care of it" (feed, top off, clean). I was excited, and gracious, and did not want to push my luck, so I turned my photo period down to only 5 hours. I still think there will be a large amount of growth. (No CO2 or ferts)

Let me know if you ever had something similar, couldnt wait to see it, and then be real pumped to see it.

Ill be adding a before and after picture. Thanks for looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Yes, I have left a tank before... I had a bad result from it. It's just that no one was there to help with maintenance (trimming plants and topping).. I went on a overseas vacation thinking I'd be okay since it's a MTS tank, auto-feed, keep the outflow very low to avoid degasing of co2, and all I had to do was trim the fast growing plants really really low prior departing, so the plants wouldn't shade the plants below after I arrived back.... but it didn't work out as planned and after about a month, the fast growing plants shaded and killed a lot of my eriocaulons and etc.. I thought by the time I came back that they would be pretty overgrown, but not to the point that it would be super overgrown and shade.. Lesson learned..

-Will

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
haha Im sure it would be fun to see this. I know if I left my tank for 7 weeks it would be a big green square. I can hardly keep up with trimming. However I do have a high-tech tank. Good luck Im sure it will be cool to see its growth. Hope you have a picture of what it looked like! I like looking at pictures of my tank like a month ago and looking at it now.

One Month Ago

Last Week right after a trim

Now all my plants reach the top of the water...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

I once served 30 days in Jail, left a planted 55g for my girlfriend to care for.
When i returned it consisted of fish and hair algea, thats it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM
Algae Grower

I left mine for about a year. It only had crypts in it.

The lights need replacing, I stopped ferting and adding CO2 and there were no fish left to feed. Filters haven't been cleaned out in that time.

The crypts didn't mind one bit. They completely overtook the aquarium and after all that I found out there were still 4 amano shrimp left in the tank!

Of course, crypts are low-light plants (I think), so they didn't mind the lack of help :p

Here it is just before I tore it apart to restock it:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, awesome responses guys! I purposely left my tank pretty low tech (java fern, anubias, ludwigia, crypts, and then faster growing plants like wisteria and rotala)

My mother is one of those really clean ones, who thinks fish tanks smell. Well every few days the whole time I was gone she was telling me how she counted all my shrimp and how she wiped the glass for me, and how my fish are doing great. I think it has grown on her a lot, haha.

Nixalba, wow. Crypt forest to say the least.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I did... for about 3 months... Twas some blob of hair algae and weeping moss that was large and a 7 foot long (with multiple branches) hornswort

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #39
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the latest picture I had of it before I left. I have re arranged and added a few plants, but this is the last I could find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29sds.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	36630  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

Hehe, a lot tidier than mine was!

Actually, I felt kinda bad pulling up all those crypts. They're still sitting in buckets in the basement...I'm not sure they're still any good, though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Post a pic when you get back would like to see what you find.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am constantly leaving my tanks for several weeks at a time and the result is often less than desireable. There's a huge difference in appearance when I am able to spend a few weeks at home.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode