Green Algae Menace - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Green Algae Menace

Hi guys,

my tank has running for almost a month and a half now and I recently ran into some algae issues. The first algae outbreak was some kind of thread algae but that luckily went away on its own after double dosing excel for a week. Now, however, I have a new algae attacking my tank. It is a green algae that likes to attach itself to any surfaces within the tank. I have it on my glass rocks and now plant leaves. Some of my plants, notably the rotala vietnam have taken a particularly hard hit from this algae and have begun to die back. I wonder if any of you guys might be able to tell me what kind of algae I have and how to best treat it.

Here are some photos (please excuse the poor quality)

on the rotala vietnam

on a rock in the tank

I noticed this algae beginning about two weeks ago but it did not really spread until last week.

My tanks specs are

Equipment:
11.4 gallon tank
36watt pc bulb light
Paintball co2 keeps drop checker light green
Eheim 2211 filter

Substrate:
Flourite with MTS beneath as well as root tabs

Fert

Just flourish comprehensive dosed by directions on bottle
and excel also dosed as directed by bottle (maybe a bit more hard to be accurate with just using cap as measure)

The lighting period is 8 hours

Thanks for any advice you guys have in advance. Also, if you need more info please feel free to ask

thanks again guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)
looks like GDA
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlswaney73 View Post
looks like GDA
after looking at other images of gda, I think that you are right... but how do i get rid of this?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveflying View Post
after looking at other images of gda, I think that you are right... but how do i get rid of this?

GSA is caused by phosphate deficiency. Get a test kit to test your phosphate level. To correct is obviously to dose more phosphate. Is kind of pretty though...

Last edited by tetra73; 10-26-2011 at 08:51 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
GDA is caused by phosphate deficiency. Get a test kit to test your phosphate level. To correct is obviously to dose more phosphate. Is kind of pretty though...
GSA, green spot algae, can be caused by phosphate deficiency, but I don't believe GDA is. All algae are ultimately "caused" by too much light, just as plant growth is "caused" by light. If that 36 watt PC light is an AH Supply light or has a reflector as good as an AH Supply reflector, you almost certainly have high light, and that makes keeping algae away very difficult.

Hoppy
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
GSA, green spot algae, can be caused by phosphate deficiency, but I don't believe GDA is. All algae are ultimately "caused" by too much light, just as plant growth is "caused" by light. If that 36 watt PC light is an AH Supply light or has a reflector as good as an AH Supply reflector, you almost certainly have high light, and that makes keeping algae away very difficult.
I SECOND THIS MOVEMENT

i have rediculously high c02 because i have such high light.. TURN IT DOWN. you will be wasting time and energy on an endless struggle

i've finally reached a happy point but if i could do it all over.. i'd go less

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

I actually meant GSA....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveflying View Post

Oh, I believe they are actually GSA, not GDA. GDA tends to grow on glass and they don't normally become that green.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

hi guys thanks for all the replies. I have a couple more photos that I would like to share. I tried to get a closer shots of the algae, but my camera being a point and shoot can only get so close. Anyway, when I tried looking closer to the algae, I noticed that it seemed to have a fuzzy look to it. Kind of wavy tiny tiny strands. Not sure if you guys can make it out in the new photos. I just was wondering if these strands are consistent with GDA or GSA.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I got to say as far as algae goes that is really, really pretty. I would almost be distraught thinking about having to remove it.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i would agree that on the rock it does look kinda cool.. i'd hate it on the plants though

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
I got to say as far as algae goes that is really, really pretty. I would almost be distraught thinking about having to remove it.

I agree it kind of looks cool. Gives the rock a natural kind of look
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i would agree that on the rock it does look kinda cool.. i'd hate it on the plants though
That's the only reason that I am trying to get rid of it. It's killing some of my plants. Some plants don't really care that it's there but my HC and Rotala Vietnam are taking big hits from this algae it appears If that wasn't the case I would actually try to keep the algae on the rocks
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

well then u need to rule out hwy its there.. fix the problem and cut off the leaves that are affected

i'd increase c02.. or decrease light amount.

Sump Pimp #7

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

is it ok to make the drop checker go into the yellowish range of color? I have it at light green right now but is it ok to push for a bit more co2?

I do have some cherry shrimp in the tank and heard that shrimp can be finicky with co2 going too high

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode