Yellow tint to the water! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yellow tint to the water!

Hi guys, my tank is fairly new. I filled it a week ago and added plants the day after. I've been noticing that the water color appears off. I thought at first maybe it was the reflection of my wall color (beige) through the tank.. but now I'm skeptical... I don't have an aquarium test kit just yet... what could be turning my water yellow? Is there anything I can do to make my water color more normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

SEACHEM PURIGIN. Get some, use it, you won't be sorry. Crystal clear water in less than 12 hours.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i added a few fish today to help cycle the tank... will the seachem purigin affect them? and this will work no matter the cause of the yellow water?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Purigen will not harm fish. It will definitely remove the discoloration of the water. Carbon will do the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Tannins.

Do you have any wood? Peat moss? WHat substrate?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
i added a few fish today to help cycle the tank... will the seachem purigin affect them? and this will work no matter the cause of the yellow water?
Purigen will not harm the fish. The cycle will kill them though.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

they are feeders, if the cycle kills them, which I hope it doesn't but am not naieve enough to think that it wont, then they had a few days/weeks/months longer then they would've I guess.

I have drift wood and some rocks that I added to the tank. The substrate is Miracle-Gro organic potting mix capped with black diamond blasting sand.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The wood and the potting soil could be tinting the water.

Using feeders is even worse... It is just asking to open up the tank to disease prior to getting your planned fish.

I only use ammonia and filters from established tanks now. Just not worth it anymore.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

:s I guess I should've thought that one through a little better... I did use filter media from an established tank though.

So if I use this purigen its going to take care of the tint problems for good? Or should I keep using it? How does it work? Sorry for all the questions the more I know, the easier it'll be to find lol I'm worried that around here it'll be a bit more difficult to get my hands on.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
The Miracle Grow potting mix will for sure tint the water. I just put this in my new 60G and it turned the water yellow before even putting driftwood in. I'm sure the tanins will go away eventually, just give it some time and water changes.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Water changes are usually the best bet to long term cure of it. Some wood/soil takes a LONG time to get rid of the tannins. Some goes away quickly.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Yeah, do more water change since the source of the yellow tint is still there. With Purigen, you may find yourself needing to recharge it more often since your wood and substrate are still making the water yellow.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Algae Grower

Carbon will have a similar effect but the downsides are, it doesn't last long before becoming useless, not recommended for long term use in a planted tank, not rechargeable. Purigen is however longer lasting, does not remove trace elements that all plants need to grow properly, is easily recharged with house hold bleach and then dechlorinator. Purigen is the kind of thing you would always have running in your filter, IMO. With driftwood and MGO you could be leaching tannins for months even years! Just an FYI when you do recharge your Purigen, use regular/classic bleach, make sure there is nothing else in it like added scents or perfumes.
Good luck!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Algae Grower

water changes help a ton
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd just wait it out. On my 5 gallon dirt tank I just did it took a full week to completely clear up. My Miracle Grow had a lot of wood chips in it. That was with like 4 50% water changes.

On my 30 it only took two days with one 25%. Every tank is different. The Miracle Grow in this one had very little wood. One thing I did on my 30 though was I boiled my driftwood for an entire day. I'd boil it, pour out the tea, boil it again...all day. I think that helps a lot if it's new driftwood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode