CO2 and Oxygen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Question CO2 and Oxygen

So I have been running a CO2 line and Oxygen line. I was wondering if I could be out gasing or if they work against one another or can be balanced?

I have 63 fish currently in a 40 breeder so the oxygen is needed. The plants are thriving and so are the fish and cherry shrimp. It has been running this way for months just curious what the actual affects are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Subscribed b/c I like to learn!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
The surface agitation created by your air line will offgas the CO2 more quickly than without it. You can compensate by injecting CO2 at a higher rate. That's pretty much it. You can increase O2 and CO2 concentrations in the water at the same time, but running an airstone usually means more offgassing.

-VeeSe

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Are you actually injecting pure oxygen? Very few people do that, because you can keep the water well oxygenated by maintaining good water surface rippling, and/or using wet/dry filters on the tank. Once the water is oxygen saturated it does no good to inject more oxygen. I think the small increase in CO2 consumption due to water surface rippling is much cheaper than using pure oxygen injection.

Hoppy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
The surface agitation created by your air line will offgas the CO2 more quickly than without it. You can compensate by injecting CO2 at a higher rate. That's pretty much it. You can increase O2 and CO2 concentrations in the water at the same time, but running an airstone usually means more offgassing.

This is what I was thinking. That I will be alright keeping them balanced. Thats what planted tanks are all about BALANCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Are you actually injecting pure oxygen? Very few people do that, because you can keep the water well oxygenated by maintaining good water surface rippling, and/or using wet/dry filters on the tank. Once the water is oxygen saturated it does no good to inject more oxygen. I think the small increase in CO2 consumption due to water surface rippling is much cheaper than using pure oxygen injection.
No I just run a airstone. I have a canister spray bar but like to keep it lower since I have riccia so it doesnt scatter everywhere. Didnt know there was a saturation limit to oxygen though.

+
+
+

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
This is what I was thinking. That I will be alright keeping them balanced. Thats what planted tanks are all about BALANCE.

No I just run a airstone. I have a canister spray bar but like to keep it lower since I have riccia so it doesnt scatter everywhere. Didnt know there was a saturation limit to oxygen though.
In that case, you're also adding Nitrogen, Argon, CO2, Neon, Helium, Methane, Krypton etc...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
The air stones don't do a whole lot for adding oxygen. Notice how your co2 bubbles dissolve into the water column while the air just bubbles out? The air stone is better at gassing off co2 than adding o2.

Good flow and surface area/ ripples would do more for the oxygen levels in the tank.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
In that case, you're also adding Nitrogen, Argon, CO2, Neon, Helium, Methane, Krypton etc...
Is that a good or a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
The air stones don't do a whole lot for adding oxygen. Notice how your co2 bubbles dissolve into the water column while the air just bubbles out? The air stone is better at gassing off co2 than adding o2.

Good flow and surface area/ ripples would do more for the oxygen levels in the tank.
Ill look into to doing that just no sure how my riccia will like it...

+
+
+

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Surface agitation, via a powerhead or something similiar, will work much better than the airstone at providing O2.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuggs View Post
Is that a good or a bad thing?
It doesn't matter. If it's in the atmosphere it's in your tank.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
It doesn't matter. If it's in the atmosphere it's in your tank.
yup, it's air.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok cool, good to know. Since I dont want my riccia scattering everywhere Im gonna stick with the airstone, one of those if it isnt broke dont try to fix it kinda of things. If it wasnt for my riccia I would just add a powerhead. Im sure you guys down at Inland have some deals on some Zach btw got those Dwarf Red Blue Gularis waiting to get my 3 new 40's up before I breed them. Petco had a sell 40g breeders for $40! =D Kinda off subject but whatever.

I got to thinking though since I do have a protein film on the top of the water due to not much surface movement it kinda of locks in the oxygen bubbles as well as everything else so it kinda balances itself. The film is barely noticable but is there if you didnt know any better you wouldnt have a clue that it was.

+
+
+

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode