Moving - shrimp, fish, and fish fry - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Moving - shrimp, fish, and fish fry

I am planning on moving in a few weeks. Last time I moved, it was simpler because I only had one tank and only had fish and shrimp. Last time I moved, I got a stryofoam box, put it into a cardboard box, and lined the styrofoam box with a big black (clean) trash bag. I then transferred as much water from the tank to the bag as I could, transferred the fish, left room for air in the bag, and then closed everything up. I didn't lose any fish using this method.

Now, however, I've got RCS (with babies) and baby fish to move, in addition to my full-grown fish. I know that there's no way I'm gonna be able to remove ALL the shrimp (especially the babies) from the tanks (a 5 gallon shrimp tank and 10 gallon tank with fish and shrimp). I'm also worried that if I put the baby fish/shrimp in the big black bag that I won't be able to see them to get them out again. How do you suggest moving shrimp and baby fish? Would you leave them in the tanks with a couple inches of water and the plants?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am wondering about the same thing for an impending move in my semi-near future. I moved a 2g shrimp bowl without taking any water out and some cling wrap on the top,and had no problems except for a little water spilled on my girlfriends lap, but a 10g would be quite a bit more difficult. You're looking at about 10 lbs. per gallon of water you leave in the tank(a little higher weight than water alone, but you've got substrate and that actual tank to figure in also), so you might not have a problem leaving like 2 gal in the tank. It will slosh around though and prob mess up the substrate and plants. I think if you take all the biggest shrimp out, and as many small ones as possible, then just move like you did before; even if you lose a few babies in the move, the population will probably bounce back once they've settled in. Keep on updating this thread to let people know how it works out for you. Good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
I recently moved my 55g by removing all but about 2 inches of water. I left everything else in place (gravel, driftwood, and plants all stayed) and had no problems. To make matters worse in the time that I drained my 55g and moved it to the new house they turned the water off. So after getting everything set up where I wanted it I go to refil the tank and....no water. So at 10pm at night I went to kroger and bought 35 1 gallon jugs of drinking water. Filled the tank up and let it go. Still good 3 months later.

Semper Fi

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
I go to refil the tank and....no water
Yikes. That must've been an incredibly unpleasant surprise. I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian_cowgirlGSR View Post
Yikes. That must've been an incredibly unpleasant surprise. I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay!
It sucked but what are you going to do? I made the best of a bad situation and bought the drinking water and hoped for the best. Next day water was turned back on.

Semper Fi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode