Filterless Aquariums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filterless Aquariums

I thought it would be interesting to hear ASW member experiences with tanks they setup without a filter. I'm referring to mostly nano size tanks that do not have an actual powered filter either internally or externally connected to the tank. I'd like to hear about the successes and the failures and what you did to achieve the success and correct the failure. Please include specs and of course pics are always welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm.. interesting topic. Because I have just set up a pico tank with ADA soil in it. I'm wondering about this too, because the "tank" does not have any filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Out of pure curiosity I started one of these tanks in my backyard. I used soil from my garden and I put the tank in the shade. The only fish in there is a Betta. So far so good, plants are growing, fish is still alive, had a slight hair algae outbreak the first week, but that went away. I never do water changes, although when it rains I guess that counts as a water change. I never feed the fish, since he eats whatever bug falls in. You just have to choose you flora and fauna correctly. I'd go with any type labyrinth fish and choose hardy plant species.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Why not check out the shrimp bowl threads that don't use any filtration?

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Why not check out the shrimp bowl threads that don't use any filtration?
I actually like filterless nano's. I think they are great fun... I have 4 of them. Heres one... https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...etta-bowl.html
Its filterless, lightless, fertless,,, All I do it feed my betta... And add water, which the evaporation rate is really slow cause of the lid. I do preform water changes sometimes to get an algae outbreak under control. But after a couple water changes I dont have to anymore. just top off and feed. I think its really pleasant. I havent updated that tank yet. But the back has grown in real nicely..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode