thermometers and tank temps? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question thermometers and tank temps?

Questions! I have the peel & stick thermometers on my tanks. They are very hard to read - the color of the "lit" temp hardly shows sometimes. Other times it seems ok. Tonight I bought a few of the floating/suction cup kind that go in the tank. I want to see if they jive with the readings I'm getting on the peel & stick strips. Because today the temps were 70 degrees on the dot. Well, I am a cheapo on some things - like my electric bill. I don't mind the electric expense for the tanks (lights, heaters, filters) but I've always been a cheapo when it comes to heating my house. That's because my house is a mobile home built in 1988! I put in new doors and replaced 5 of the 15 (yes, that's a lot for a trailer) windows, so it's not as drafty as it was. Even so, the temp inside here today is 58. In the winter I usually keep it between 58 and 62 to keep the costs down. I don't mind it cooler, but I dream every year of upping it to 65 or 67. (so daring! lol) I haven't turned my heat on for the winter yet, but I guess I'm going to have to tonight - for the darned tanks!
My tank temps were between 76 and 78 before today's cold spell rolled in. It's 40 degrees outside now, and super windy.
So my questions are, which type of thermometer do you think is better, and what should I be aiming for, for tank temps? I have mostly tetras.
A quick fish list in 3 tanks; Neons, black tetras, rosy barbs, tiger barbs, celebes rainbows, harlequin rasboras, green cory - and I might be forgetting something.
I believe neons and harlequins like it cooler, up to 74 degrees? (they will be housed in the same tank - the neons are still in QT)
Thanks for any help!
Cindy

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Oh, I would also like to take this moment to rant about heaters. My 50w in the QT tank has a "clicking" dail - you turn the knob and it clicks. Two clicks equal a degree, and the degrees are plainly printed on the heater to see. My 200w heaters are a guessing game. I realize the 50 heater may not be accurate to the printed image of a degree, but it's been consistant. I have no idea what the others are even set at. There is a triangle that is supposed to represent 74 or 76. I'm just tweaking them ever so slightly, hoping to bump the temps up very gradually. I've read no more than 2 degrees a day is generally safe. True?
Thanks!

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode