How many discus can I get away with? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many discus can I get away with?

Would it be ok to have only 2-3 discus? I dont really have room or money for 5-6 but I dont really know how much it truly matters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
NO... If u don't have the room then u can keep them...
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It is possible, BUT you risk inviting some serious aggression/harmful pecking order behavior and resultant problems.
Keeping just 2 or 3 often results in 1 or 2 of them being badly mistreated, by 1 or 2 others, which produces a lot of stress and may well result in a fatality.
If your tank is not large enough (min. around 55 gals), don't attempt to keep less than 5 discus, or you're asking for trouble.
It has been done successfully, but usually not for very long.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I have a 75 gallon tank. It has 5 pearl groumies, 6 blue rams, 10 cardinal tetras. Heavily planted. Just don't know if I have enough room in my tank for 5-6 maybe I do. Check out my tank in my tanks.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Well CleverBs, it may produce a somewhat heavier bio-load than may be considered normal, but I think you could get by with having 5 discus in that tank along with your other fish, assuming a reasonable 2 or 3 X weekly wc routine, along with good maintenance & filtration.
I'm currently keeping 9 discus in a medium planted, low tech, 70 gal tank which also contains just a small number of cardinals and rasboras combined, one SAE and 3 Cories.
Check it out:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...spaul/Sept2011
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well... discuspaul always gives good discus advise..... So I guess as long as you put in the maintenance he covered you should be able to...
I love discus... Never owned any... I plan to... Once I can get a huge tank..
Something about a discus seems to warrant a giant tank... at least 2000 gallons... but thats just me lol...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Eldachleich - and when you decide to get your feet wet with discus, you can be sure I'll be there to help you out in any way I can.
You made me laugh with the 2000 gal comment - but I know that you know, that you need think about nothing more than 55- 75 gals. lol
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for the input. Now I just need to save up to buy 5 discuss...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do that - you won't be sorry.
And when you do, as I said to eldachleich, I'll be here to help you if you need any.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I don't want to hijack but isn't it the juvenille discus that require the massive, multi week water changes because of their feeding schedule? If he bought the discus as adults the maintenance wouldn't be an issue would it? I've never kept discuss because our water is liquid rock here and I believe that you have to have softer water to keep even the adults. I have a 150 gallon heavily planted that I'd LOVE to put discuss in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
I don't want to hijack but isn't it the juvenille discus that require the massive, multi week water changes because of their feeding schedule? If he bought the discus as adults the maintenance wouldn't be an issue would it? I've never kept discuss because our water is liquid rock here and I believe that you have to have softer water to keep even the adults. I have a 150 gallon heavily planted that I'd LOVE to put discuss in.
Yes that is correct. There are some hard line discus keepers out there that don't want people keeping them unless you do the max discus regime. But if you get discus that are already 4-5" they will be fine if you do weekly water changes and keep N lower. When you have 1" fish if they are not fed multiple times a day and kept in pristine water they can easily stunt or develop other developmental issues. This is why I always suggest 5-6" fish for people not wanting the crazy routine but they cost much much more. If you can keep a bare bottom tank and devote the time to doing it right then getting the 1-2" fish and going hardcore you could grow them out beautifully.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No Abrium, juvenile discus don't require the massive, multi-week wcs you mentioned, unless you're wanting to grow them out to their optimum size. Of course, it depends on the size of 'juveniles' - if they're 2" - they're babies really, and do require a lot of careful, constant attention.
On the other hand, if they're 3", or 3.5" juvies, the situation changes completely, and you can get by with a lot less hard work and attention.
As for getting adults, yes the routine gets a lot easier, but still, you have to follow a few simple 'rules' - mainly ensuring you don't try to keep them in sub-standard water conditions.
As far as pH is concerned, discus can, and will, thrive in soft or hard water, acidic or alkaline, so long as the pH is kept relatively constant. Example: if your pH is 7.6 and steady that way - no problem, your discus will be just fine. Or if it's 6.0, that's fine too.

What's your pH, Abrium ? - I'll bet it's quite ok to keep discus.
And given that you have a 150 gal tank, even if heavily planted, you can surely succeed in keeping discus.
If you'd like to consider it, and have any questions at all, don't hesitate to PM me, I'd be more than happy to help if I can.
Paul

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode