Snail infest in 90 gallon planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail infest in 90 gallon planted

Hey guys, my first post! Im havin a huge snail problem, some is fine, i got lots , its like a moving substrate! I need help!!!

I'll give as much info as possible

90 gallon planted-swords,crypts,anubias baby, anubias,1 unknown
6-medium assorted angels
2 baby pleco
1 aquaclear 110 low to high (stock sponge/pillow foam/bio rings)
1 penguin 400 custom media, low to high (old fluval 405 sponge/pillow foam/2x bio rings on each side)
4 35 watt t8's run 2 for daytime with small peaks of 4 bulbs on
0 ferts
Feed only assorted frozen foods
15 gallon water changes 1-2 twice a week

I dont know what to do!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
It happens. Either try and trap them with food, like squash or cucumber or something, put it in a net, leave it overnight, and in the morning take out the net and cull the snails. Or you can get an assassin snail or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
a 40g reef
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Throw in a slice of cumber before bed. Wake up reach in pick up slice, and throw snail covered cucumber slice into trash.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
Ugh, i had this problem...same as you. The substrate looks like it was moving. And at night, i wouldnt even want to turn on the light b/c the walls would be covered with snails. I was able to curtail this problem by being very careful about how much i fed my fish. I made sure there was no waste so there would be nothing for the snails. Presently, there is a host of empty and dissolving shells at the bottom of my tank. But this in addition to the trapping method should work for you.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Algae Grower

I had the same problem in my 90gal 4 weeks ago, and i added 4 assassin snails. I don't have any small snails any more.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Assassin snails.
Same issue, now resolved. put 3 or 4 in your tank, and your issue will be resolved in a month.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
The bait and catch works well, although, you shouldn't be throwing them into the trash like has been recommended to you. That would be VERY irresponsible of any aquarist to do, due to the fact that some of the snails may survive the trip some how. Your best bet would to be to trap them and sell them on S-N-S here on this site. There are always people that want them to keep, and others to feed them to something. I cannot believe your Angels aren't eating them. Mine LOVE snacking on the eggs and snails alike, and keep the population under control for me.

After catching all you can, scrub off any eggs you see, and scrub any wood, glass, and rocks. A pipe cleaner can be used to scrub the plants a little bit, or use your fingers to get any eggs that you find. Then give your tank a good gravel vac. The process will likely need to be repeated until you stop seeing the snails in your tank. As jasa stated, watching how much you feed your fish helps, along with keeping algae and wastes down in the tank will definitely aid in getting rid of your problem. good luck.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't go adding a bunch of Assassins either. They will take care of your problem, but if you keep a bunch you will need to feed them. That would entail getting some more snails for them to eat. One, or maybe 2, should be all you will need or you will find yourself with an infestation of Assassin Snails

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I want pictures!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
What is your pH? How hard is the water? Do you use CO2? I think snail can't thrive in low pH/soft water environment....
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

-ok, i dont think im going to add more snails to rid of snails, seems like a more natural way but, i'll try your bait n catch, and i'll make fish food outta them, so not to intergrate species, even though im in canada, and its end of october so they'll probably freeze!
-good thinking on the eggs, gotta kill the problem before it starts,
-this all started from a single plant from petsmart. all my otherplants were ordered online from aquaticplantcentral, not a single snail.
-and no i've never seen my angels attack snails, i've seen em clean snails off plants leaves that they were prepping for breeding though.
-thanks for the swift assistance n ideas guys
-i'll put up a picture, of snails ignoring 4 lights being on, and still coming out on the glass, in the picture they're climbing up the glass in a horde, below the climb is a pool of snails(not shown)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1405.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	36379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	36380  

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
yep...thats a snail problem all right - lol.

I've used a credit card to scrape them off the glass into a plastic cup or container. To bait them, I just sink a large tupperware lid with a rock and scatter a few sinking pellets on it - then remove the whole thing the next morning.

About 6 months ago a local petsmart had a horrible snail problem. Every tank in the place looked just like that (except the tank with the clown loaches)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidmutha View Post
-ok, i dont think im going to add more snails to rid of snails, seems like a more natural way but, i'll try your bait n catch, and i'll make fish food outta them, so not to intergrate species, even though im in canada, and its end of october so they'll probably freeze!
-good thinking on the eggs, gotta kill the problem before it starts,
-this all started from a single plant from petsmart. all my otherplants were ordered online from aquaticplantcentral, not a single snail.
-and no i've never seen my angels attack snails, i've seen em clean snails off plants leaves that they were prepping for breeding though.
-thanks for the swift assistance n ideas guys
-i'll put up a picture, of snails ignoring 4 lights being on, and still coming out on the glass, in the picture they're climbing up the glass in a horde, below the climb is a pool of snails(not shown)
Holy shart.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Oh man, that pic is awesome! During the day no less... You could try adding a dwarf puffer if you can find them. They are pretty fun to watch hunt and it would keep it busy for a while.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Those almost look like assassin snails.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I had trumpet snails like that a few months ago. They come out like that when its feeding time. I just used a net and ran it up the glass under them and scooped out lots out that way. Then I added assassin snails and all the trumpets are gone now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9

Last edited by Cynth; 10-21-2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: fixing my bad phone typing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode