Discus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Discus

Anyone know the cheapest place to find discus online? I remember ordering from a company that only charged $15 a piece that required a minimum order of $200, but I cant remember the name.

"Those dancing were thought to be crazy by those who could not hear the music."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Check with George, azdiscus.com
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
There is a guy on aquabid who sells discus and lives in Parker, so that could be convenient. My tank gets really hot in the summer, so I am thinking to go with either Angelfilsh or Discus.

My tank is med-high light, high-tech, EI so I'm a little nervous to go with discus cause they are notoriously tricky to keep healthy. But then, the more I read the more I see people having success with CO2 and planted tanks with discus.

What's your plan??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I urge you to please be careful trying to buy inexpensive discus.
You almost always get what you pay for, as they say - and that particularly holds true for discus.

They'll usually be either:
- very small- 2" or less, hence needing a lot of growing out with very careful attention, and quite susceptible to a number of health problems;
- runts, stunted, sick, or badly-shaped fish;
- fish being imported from questionable sources, and you take your chances on getting healthy fish.

Seldom do you find good-sized, healthy fish for that kind of price, unless the seller is getting out of discus-keeping, and wanting to get rid of them quickly, kind of a RAOK.

You'd be best advised to buy discus from a reputable breeder known for raising healthy fish, or one of the several very good sponsors on simplydiscus.com, e.g.

I can't recall ever running across a good source of healthy fish of 3" or so for under $25. and that's on the very low side of normal prices.

Having said that, this note for Dave-H, discus are not at all difficult to keep healthy, PROVIDED you buy good, healthy stock - the most critical ingredient for being successful with discus.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Algae Grower

I had my lfs order me 4. I was pleased with them and spent $100 so it was a decent deal too. They were 2.5-3" and at least I could see them before purchasing. I dont think you are going to find them for $15 unless shipping is ridiculous.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
While we're on the subject, is there a variation in health/hardiness that relates to the breed or style of discus?

I see the turquoise discus all around, and they are beautiful. But those cobalt blues are amazing, too. Is this a consideration when it comes to health/hardiness, like it is with dogs/puppies where there are overbred strains and puppy mills associated with certain breeds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebus20 View Post
I had my lfs order me 4. I was pleased with them and spent $100 so it was a decent deal too. They were 2.5-3" and at least I could see them before purchasing. I dont think you are going to find them for $15 unless shipping is ridiculous.

Right on, rebus !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
While we're on the subject, is there a variation in health/hardiness that relates to the breed or style of discus?

I see the turquoise discus all around, and they are beautiful. But those cobalt blues are amazing, too. Is this a consideration when it comes to health/hardiness, like it is with dogs/puppies where there are overbred strains and puppy mills associated with certain breeds?

Not really, Dave.
It really doesn't matter what strain of discus it is, so long as whatever variety it is that you're getting, is from a known reputable source for producing & raising, or importing quality, healthy fish.

Some discus-keepers may tell you that a certain strain or another may not be quite as hardy as most others, or more susceptible to health problems, but if so, there will be just as many others telling you that just isn't so.
There are different opinions out there, but I've kept many different strains, together or separately, and have never seen any evidence of one strain being weaker, or less hardy, than others.
Oh, and I agree with you - those Cobalts are amazing - one of my favorite strains!
(Although I don't have any at the moment.)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...scus-Sponsors&

top sellers/good customer my choice:

Kenny's Discus (Kenny Cheung) - Daly City, California

here his latest october shipment:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Tank-Pictures

there are a few other good vendors on there also but kenny in my opinion is the best.

discus are easy to keep. dont let those horror stories scare you away saying there hard to keep etc....start off with nice healthy discus u then will have lil to no problem. discus are easy fish to keep....atleast to me they were.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonD70s View Post

there are a few other good vendors on there also but kenny in my opinion is the best.

discus are easy to keep. dont let those horror stories scare you away saying there hard to keep etc....start off with nice healthy discus u then will have lil to no problem. discus are easy fish to keep....atleast to me they were.
Couldn't have said it any better - nikon is right on !
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

I bought 4 Blue Diamond Discus from SomethingsPhishy.com. I've been happy with them.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (46/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFish View Post
I bought 4 Blue Diamond Discus from SomethingsPhishy.com. I've been happy with them.
My advice -particularly when you're shopping for almost too-good-to-be-true pricing .... do a search in the Better Business Bureau ratings prior to ordering. ;-)
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonD70s View Post

Man, those are some awesome looking discus!!! Me want!!!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
http://www.gcca.net

I used to be a member, some good honest people in the club often have Discus.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt View Post
Check with George, azdiscus.com
I checked with George - at the moment he has nothing smaller than 4" discus- starting @ $85.

Kenny Cheung has a great reputation for importing superb discus, (Malaysian Forrest discus for one) very healthy and well-shaped - from all the info I have gathered, he's probably the top supplier of discus in the U.S. - I may be wrong, but it would surprise me if has any discus for sale @ under $30. or so, unless they're 2" babies - and I haven't noted him selling any of that size.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
discus... talk about the top of the freshwater fish chain.

"I got 1 tool in my toolbox and its a hammer."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode