Cycling a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling a new tank

i am hopefully starting a new 15g tank on the weekend and was wondering what the best way to cycle the tank is. Some ppl say go fishless some say dont in a planted?? Also if fishless is a good idea where can i get some pure ammonia??
Thanks in advance, Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish man 101
i am hopefully starting a new 15g tank on the weekend and was wondering what the best way to cycle the tank is. Some ppl say go fishless some say dont in a planted?? Also if fishless is a good idea where can i get some pure ammonia??
Thanks in advance, Dylan
I still believe in cycling-even if it was for a couple days. From experience adding fish before my plants were established just caused more of an algae problem for me. Make sure you have good light, good CO2, and some ferts. Depending on how quickly your plants take hold, then you can ad ferts.
I would not bother with the ammonia personally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:41 AM

you can get ammonia at wally world or any grocery store. Usually by the cleaning stuff.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:53 PM

I tried jumping the gun many times and ended up biting the bullet each time. If you do a planted tank you can just cycle for week. Your success will vary depending on your bioload. I would stock light and go only with algae eaters after the first week.

I added regular fish too. The bioload was too high and led to major algae outbreaks, green water, and then bacterial and parasite outbreaks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I hear what you all are saying about cycling a tank. However what if all of your filters are coing off of an already cycled tank? Does that change things? Does it make it any easier or quicker to add fish to it?

Gordon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gparr
I hear what you all are saying about cycling a tank. However what if all of your filters are coing off of an already cycled tank? Does that change things? Does it make it any easier or quicker to add fish to it?

Gordon
That will speed things up quite a bit, as long as they are coming straight off the established tank and haven't sat around letting all the bacteria die.

On a brand new tank/hardware/etc, I just plant lots of fast growing plants, let them settle in for a couple few weeks, add one otto per 10 gallons, let them settle in a few weeks with no (added) food, then add about one fish per 5 gallons. After that I'm set. ymmv
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yes, these filters would come right off an already established tank and onto this new tank. If I do not put fish in this tank fairly soon after set-up, wouldn't I lose all the beneficial bacteria and basically be starting all over?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well, all you would have to do is add a bit of waste from the other tank every day, to keep the bacteria fed.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode