Actually turning on C02 for first time? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually turning on C02 for first time?

I am very confused. I was told to open the regulator valve all the way, then turn on the valve on the tank. When I did this, bubbles started coming out so fast that it looked like a tornado in the bubble counter, and created a lock in my canister.

What am I doing wrong?

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Wrong order. Regulator completely off (COUNTER-CLOCKWISE), needle valve fully open, solenoid plugged in. Open cylinder valve slowly, then slowly back and forth between increasing working pressure (regulator working pressure knob CLOCKWISE) and closing needle valve.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So which way do I turn the needle valve ot completely open it?

Alex

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is it the opposite of the regulator? (Counter clockwise to open, Clockwise to close) or the same as the regulator (Counter clockwise to close, clockwise to open?)

Alex
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Plant Clown

Needle valve is counter-c to open all the way. So yes, it's kind of opposite the regulator directions. The terminology is a bit off, so:

Reg is clockwise to increase working pressure
Needle valve is counter-clockwise to increase flow.

Pick a working pressure and stick to it. As long as you don't have an Atomic-style diffuser, 20psi should work just fine for the regulator. And once you get that, don't mess with it at all until you have to refill the tank. Or replace some reg piece.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will have an atomic diffuser soon.... What should the working pressure be for that? Right now I have it at 25. I had it at 30 but that didn't give me enough control with the needle valve.

Alex
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

CO2 tube is just shoved up the canister intake for now.

Alex
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Plant Clown

If 30 was too much for your needle valve, either you need to not get an Atomic or do upgrade your needle valve, or just leave the tube in the canister intake. You'll need 35-40 minimum for an Atomic.

For needle valves, check Bettatail's metering valve thread. For a tight budget, I'd recommend one of the Pneumadynes, an SMC AS-1200 or -2200, or a Clippard MNV-3 or -4.

They're all $12 or less before shipping.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It wasn't too much for the needle valve. It was just easier to control the needle valve at the lower pressure, just because I've never done it before. Its a Fabco NV 55, which I know is not the best, but it shouldn't be that bad. It's probably just my inexperience.

Alex
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
turn very carefully.. also for more precise control. the wheel on a needle valve is equipped with two alan sockets. one is to lock it in place. one is to hold the wheel onto the stem. the one for the stem is the farthest away from the valve.

stick a long alan socket in there. it provides leverage and a higher degree of control. i do this a LOT! especially since i hooked up an atomic and what seems to be 1/32 of a turn makes my fishies unhappy .. alan socket gave me the control i needed to get me right where i wanted to be

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
turn very carefully.. also for more precise control. the wheel on a needle valve is equipped with two alan sockets. one is to lock it in place. one is to hold the wheel onto the stem. the one for the stem is the farthest away from the valve.

stick a long alan socket in there. it provides leverage and a higher degree of control. i do this a LOT! especially since i hooked up an atomic and what seems to be 1/32 of a turn makes my fishies unhappy .. alan socket gave me the control i needed to get me right where i wanted to be
Great advice! The Fabco is more than adequate for how we use it, just work on making tiny adjustments. Start with a low bubble count and gradually increase until you see what I would call a negative reaction from your fish. For me this was witnessing my cardinal tetras schooled together at the surface at the end of the photoperiod. Crank it back just a bit and that is your max.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice! I currently have no fish, but that will be very helpful when I do.

Alex

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode