would yellow jacket endlers or german blue rams be easier to sell? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
would yellow jacket endlers or german blue rams be easier to sell?

im trying to decide between the two but i cant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Endlers are a dime a dozen, so to speak, unless you've got a unique and verifiable strain that's tough to find.

In my experience, hybridized Endler-Guppy (like Yellow Jacket) aren't particularly as popular as other pure N strains.

I'm betting the Rams will sell better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
+1 on the rams

Endlers def. are a dime a dozen and you have to get rid of a dozen to get a dime

+
+
+

Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Try 75 dozen. Per month. Heh.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
A basic sales rule common things need to be sold in volume, rare things don't. Common things sell fast, rare things don't. so how hard to do want to work at selling your fish? How many do you want to care for waiting to sell?

For a small hobby business, identify a nitch do it well.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
GBR will get you more per fish but their care requires elevated levels and more expense and time.

Endlers you'll have to sell a lot more of but their cost to maintain and care are extremely low. I usually sell my Tigers for $8 per trio and $1.50 per fry but the cost of them is relatively low for the quantity.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
home bred rams are popular due to being hardier and cheaper than lfs....extra work too.

but if your going into breeding for $ then dont do it. do it cuse you enjoy it because whatever you make covers the raising and tanks basic needs.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I don't know how GBR care requires more expense, care, and time. I have had a breeding pair that I don't do anything to except water changes and feeding. I keep their tank a few degrees warmer than the rest, but overall care difference in negligible. Everyone talks about these fish as being super sensitive, but what does that even mean? I have had their tank fluctuate temps of about 3-4 degrees on a regular basis. Also, before the CO2 injection their pH was kept at about 7.6 (still breeding).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I say "Rams" I haven't kept any for years but everytime you go in the fish section here there will be a thread about Rams, BBR, Where can I get Rams, so... yo do the math! I didn't know they were sensitive at all when kept them, but I didn't try to breed them either.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Rams are very easy to keep and breed, IF you know what you do!

Every month I have at least 500 fry (5pair), but I never raise them. Or I always try the parents to raise them, but then never get to it, they never get over 10 days without help.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon
how about chilli endlers?
the red ones
why are they expensive?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Why don't you try shrimp instead? They don't really take any real effort and most species sell pretty well for a decent price besides cherries which are a dime a dozen...

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've never had luck with GBRs breeding. I've kept them before but could never get them to successfully breed so that's why IME Endlers are easier. It was just my personal experience with them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode