Blindly trusting test kits instead of common sence
I was trying to determine how much ferts (that I can test for) were being consumed. I was convinced myself the NO3 was being consumed at a rapid rate. Come to find out it was my not using the kit correctly IE not shaking the regents as instructed.
Once I corrected my testing mistake it turned out the tank was over 160ppm NO3.
I took several weeks to get it down to "normal". I didn't want to purge the entire tank and shock the crap out of the shrimp an fish.
Lately using a modified IE method without NO3 and adding K since my Tap water is 10 ppm NO3 as it is (when tested correctly). Shrimp, Fish and Plants are much happier.
RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST