Treating a large piece of wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Treating a large piece of wood

After losing all but one of my goldfish to fungus last week, I disinfected the tank and decorations, and am now starting to set up again. I have a long, curved piece of wood (a little like a bow) that's 2 - 3 feet long. I've sanded it to remove sharp edges, and thoroughly disinfected it. I had it soaking in an old tank until that developed a leak and flooded the floor I.m now not sure how to sink it, other than putting it straight in the goldfish tank and filling it up. I've been told that boiling it will help, but this is a pretty big piece of wood.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

I had a large piece that wouldnt fit into any pots I had, or my sink. I put it in one of those rubbermaid containers - the large ones - and covered it with boiling water. HTH...
Heidi

Heidi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Someone in an earlier thread suggested putting it in the dishwasher (without soap of coarse). I tried it and was very well pleased. It worked fine for me but the only thing you can do is try, if you are so inclined.

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have a large oak stump section for my 90 gallon, I went out and bought a galvinized 30 gallon garbage can sealed it with in/outdoor silicon riged up a stand and boiled it over a fire pit. Worked very well for the sinking, but I still have a Lot of tannin to get out, the water looked like molassis
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I filled the tank and put the wood in the other day. It's weighed down with rocks at either end, and so far is not floating, growing fungus or leaching tannins, guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm prepared to be patient with this, but am itching to get it covered with java fern and repopulated. Thanks for the tips, btw

Once our digital camera comes back from whoever borrowed it, I'll link a couple of pics.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode