Tank cover or not? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank cover or not?

Wondering what would be better. It seems like no glass cover would allow much better light penetration. Glass is a natural filter of sorts I believe. I've seen light setups with legs to elevate it a few inches above the tank top. Would this allow to much CO2 to escape? Appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I use a glass cover, keeps the jumpers in and cuts down on evaporation. I not sure if it cuts down on the light (if it's clean). I'm just thinking of my friend that put new windows in his house and lay one of the windows on the lawn for a couple of minutes before he installed it. The next day there was a big brown spot that was a perfect image of the window. So if the glass intensified the heat it would have to also intensify the light?

I've had no problems, but you do need to keep it clean. I clean mine with CLR to get rid of calcium deposits and windex to clear the streaks. I know most don't use these kind of cleaners around their tanks, I just make sure I don't use enough that it might go under the plastic hinges and then drip into the tank later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
If you go the no glass lid route, I think you might regret it. A lot of people do that, but your fish will have a tendency to make themselves into dried up fish jerky. Also, you will get more evaporation than you expect. You will have to top that thing off at least every couple of days in addition to your regular cycling. As someone who has had to reduce my lighting because of algae problems, I think you get plenty of light through the glass lid.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 04:41 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a topless tank and I have a covered tank.

I much prefer the topless. I like how you can decorate the tank with emersed pieces of driftwood or even have plants growing right out of the water. I find that I tinker with the topless one much more because it's so much easier to work on. I don't even have a light in my way since it's attached to the underside of a cabinet about 7 inches above the tank.

The topless, rimless tank has such a clean look to it. When you can look right down into the water it gives you a whole new viewing dimension and makes monitoring my white cloud babies much easier.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
I have the 75 topless and the 29 with glass cover...

I by far like the topless better...it has a better apeal...IMO has better light penetration....and you can aquascape and do maintainance without trouble...

As far is evaporation goes....thats why you got a phyton

I have a glass top on the 29...but im planning to go topless on that as well...
infact last week...my Power compact lighting cracked my glass cover due to the heat....

Ehiem Pimp # 88

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a topless 55 gallon. I have the glass top but I don't use it. It much easier to work around the tank with out it. One less thing to clean.
But, the water evaps much quicker. I have to top off maybe a half gallon every 2 days.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
And you guys don't have problems with fish jerky? I always worry that one of my prize fishies will decide to see what is in the other stream and end up on the carpet. I have rainbows and they like to jump. The guppies are all chanting, "JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP!!!" and the rainbows are like "I'M GONNA DO IT MAN, I SWEAR!!!! GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!!!" and then plop.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run a 60 acrilic "topless" (don't cover access holes so ~30% covered) under the canopy. I find covers to be a pain to work around as I am in my tank quite a bit. I have only had problems with amanos and 2 SAE's jumping. The rainbows are happy at midlevel (I have some plants at the surface so they might feel safe?) I have splashed water (or touched) lit NO bulbs with no problem. If you have ODNO or MH I would worry a bit more about splashing.

Moved to Tucson.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:14 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I removed my glass cover a while back due to temp issues. I went with the eggcrate cover to help limit fish jerky...though I did rescue a golden dojo loach that somehow fit through a square about the size of his body. Luckily, I found him in time.

I do have evap issues, but if I change my water weekly, the level usually stays hidden by my black top edging. If I miss my water change, the water level reminds me every night of the following weeks what a bad, bad planted tank owner I've been .
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:18 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
With my collection of pencilfish, a glass top is a MUST!

I don't like fish jerky! Beef jerky..yes! Fish jerky...no!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Deer jerky
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Its kind of nice to just dip your hand in there whenever you want or need to scrape some algae or trim a plant. I have a new water change tank nearby so every day or two I pour a half a gallon in to keep it near the top. So that is too easy. I'm going to go topless on a new 90G tank. If a few fish vacate, I'll replace them. If it starts becoming a problem, I might get some tops later. But I'm pretty sure I prefer topless. At least that is my current feeling after having done both on my little 26 bow.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode