Fleet phospho-soda - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fleet phospho-soda

Hey Guys,
well i have to dose phosphates in my tank, and all i could find was Fleet Phospho-soda. Its nearly the same as fleet enema, but has a couple extra ingredients. So ill run them by u to see what ya reckon bout it, whether it will hurt my fishies and also ya can have a look at my calculations to see if they are correct.

Ok so active ingredients are sodium phosphate mono and dibasic, all good.
but it also contains:
saccharin sodium (Sweetener)
Sodium benzoate (preservative, which im sure is in the "Fleet Enema" as well"
Ginger-lemon flavour.

So any issues u reckon with any of these ingredients, considering the small dosage of this product? which is what ill describe now.

Ok so according to the website found HERE , each mL of the solution contains 12.4 meq of phosphate. Now i couldnt remember exactly how to convert this to mg/mL, but i think u use the phosphates mg/meq value, which is 31.66 (multiply this by 12.4meq)
So this then gives us 394 mg/ml of phosphate
The tank is 10Gal (38L) so adding a bit under 0.1mL will give a phosphate level of 1ppm in the tank. I might dilute the buffer 50% to make measurement a bit easier.

Thanx for any help on this guys, hopefully we have a few chemists in our midsts.

Grunge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungefreek
Ok so active ingredients are sodium phosphate mono and dibasic, all good.
but it also contains:
saccharin sodium (Sweetener)
Sodium benzoate (preservative, which im sure is in the "Fleet Enema" as well"
Ginger-lemon flavour.
um, sweeteners, preservatives and artificial flavorings? do you really want these in your tank, even in minute quantities? i REALLY dont think those would be good for fish or plants....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 05:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Considering what Fleet Enema is used for what is the real intent of this product? Flavors, in an enema?

The Fleet Enema that were used to using is 100% Po4 based.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:20 AM

http://www.phosphosoda.com/

It's a bowel preparation that's taken orally to clear out the bowel for procedures (and would probably work pretty well as a laxative as well). Thus, the sweeteners. More information than you ever wanted to know about Fleet Phospho-Soda, I'm sure.

Spleen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i know its not the "enema" version u guys use, they dont stock it here in Australia, only the oral one. Unfortunately the site doesnt list the conc. of other products in the liquid. Im still thinking it wont do any harm, considering the low concs, coupled with 50% WC every week. I might have to be the first one to try it, if noone ever tryed it, we will never get any info on it. I dont stock expensive species anyway, but i still wont like to lose them. Ill dose and then watch continuously. Any troubles and ill do a large WC strait away.

Thanx guys
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use fleet phospho-soda buffered saline mixture, i haven't had any problems.
Talking to chemist he said it was the same but a more concentrated,That's was him not me saying, i did tell him what i was using it for.

The only ingredient's i see is
Sodium Phosphate Monobasic
Sodium phosphate dibasic
Sodium benzoate
And lemon-ginger flavour for that great taste.

Ivano
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

The product (enema) I use has 16g of monobasic sodium phosphate per 100mL.

This = 0.16g/ mL

The product you wish to use contains 7.2g monobasic sodium phosphate per 15mL.

This = 0.48g/mL.

So yeah the oral stuff is 3x more concentrated.

I choose to use the enema as that is what people have experience with. Plus the oral prep was more expensive. I was surprised to find you could actually find the oral prep and not the enema. Here, the oral prep is not used as much today as it was a few years ago since case reports kept popping up re adverse effects. The phosphates enema is almost the standard of care where I work, but it is probably more commonly seen in the hospital setting; in the outpatient world it is sold less commonly. Have you asked a pharmacist for a source of sodium phosphates enema? It may just be sold under a different trade name (other than Fleet). HTH.

Oh and FWIW: using the estimative index, I dose 2mL of the enema per week in my 45 gallon. If you do the math, this works out to 0.44mL per 10 gallons. Since your product is 3x as concentrated, dividing 0.44mL by 3 = 0.15mL per week; keeping in mind that the EI uses somewhat "aggressive" additions of ferts.

You can measure 0.1mL quite easily with a diabetic syringe.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you asked a pharmacist for a source of sodium phosphates enema?
Yeah u can order it in, but it takes a little while. and i wanted phosphates now.

Quote:
The only ingredient's i see is
Sodium Phosphate Monobasic
Sodium phosphate dibasic
Sodium benzoate
And lemon-ginger flavour for that great taste.
Yeah there is also sugar added, and the pharmacist wasnt sure on whether the ginger lemon flavour was natural or artificial.

Quote:
dividing 0.44mL by 3 = 0.15mL per week
Yeah, im going to start my dose off at about 0.05mL, then test and see what sort of conc i am getting. Better to be a little less than too much with phosphate.

Quote:
You can measure 0.1mL quite easily with a diabetic syringe.
Exactly what i have to measure my doses, very easy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode