goin native - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
goin native

hi just started a 29.9 gallon 36x12x18 about to move 6 inch large mouth bass, 3 1/2inch brown bullhead from a 20g? into it.been in old tank for several months. using sand from the Erie canal in both tanks. horn wort is anchored by rocks for temp plants they seam to be doing fine. want to use hydrilla or mill foil or Cryptocoryne Balansae for tall backround plants in front of that maybe dwarf hiar grass with brazilian penny wort and something else scattered about. i picked those from a list of 'easy' plants to grow. gonna try to up load picks soon...maybe let me know if i should use these plants or swap something out.would like to make it all native.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The bullhead will get pretty big and will like to dig, I think. So those plants will get uprooted at some point. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get a bigger tank. Might look big enough now but your fish will suffer. Plus bullhead will completely dissmember your planted tank and the jolty bass will keep the water stirred up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Stick with species that stay small like this one the Mountain Redbelly dace.
You know you have to keep the water on the cool side ? For more information use keywords native fish keeping
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you CANNOT keep a largemouth bass and a bullhead catfish in a 29 gallon tank. you think fish this big can live in a 36" tank?

the reason people don't keep native tanks is because the tank size needed for them is gigantic. i wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 200g tank, and ideally they need a pond.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea i know im goin to need a bigger tank, i already got one in a buddys basement i just need to replace the back, and move it. but for now if i leave some open space for the bullhead to dig (wich i havent seen much of) will it leave the plants alone? i was thinking plants on the left rocks and a peice of drift wood on the right. where can i buy/order fish like that redbelly dace? no only "exotic" minnow i ever found was a log perch i thought was a walleye.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think a large tank with a school of smaller sunfish, maybe pumpkin seeds would be neat. As for a large mouth bass, I think that's going to be too big for even a very large tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Algae Grower

The bullhead won't purposely seek out to destroy your plants. As it looks for a place to hide or to get to food .It will push through,behind and around your plants uprooting them. So use plants the have good roots,that aren't fragile, and plant sparsely. Some native plants I have kept with bullhead have been Elodea Canadensis,Cabomba,Valisneria, and Sagittaria subulata.

Their are many smaller native fish that alot of people don't know of. When most people think native they think sunfish,bass, and catfish. But what about the many different and colorful darters,dace,shiners,and madtoms. Most of these can be kept in a twenty gallon tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

Here are a few places to buy natives.
http://zimmermansfish.com/
http://jonahsaquarium.com/JonahSite/fishlist.htm
http://aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html

I Love Natives!!

http://nativefishkeepers.forumotion.com/

Tags
brown bullhead, largemouth bass, native theme

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode