URGENT question re: goldfish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
URGENT question re: goldfish

i was asked by the grade 6 teacher at my school to help her with the "inherited" tank in her classroom. she is a replacement teacher and doesn't know anything about taking care of fish.

the tank is a 20 gallon tank with one goldfish in it. it has an automated feeder in there and i am not sure if the fish has been getting food lately because it seems that the batteries were dead. i just changed them and he seems to be eating fine and swimming fine.

anyway, here's the problem. . .

i came into the class and did a little mini lesson on how to care for a fish tank and did a water change with the kids on the fish. we did ~50% water change and cleaned the algae off the walls of the tank. i filled the tank back up and treated the water. the fish seemed to be doing ok.

when we plugged the filter back in it didn't work. it is an aquaclear filter (30 i think it said on there?) we had to unplug the filter to move the tank a little to reach the siphon. i honestly don't remember if the filter was moving the water before i moved the tank. :S i brought a filter from home, just a little hob that goes with my 10 gallon. i know it isn't big enough but it is better than nothing until they can get a bigger filter (we live in a super small town, someone has to go out of town to get a filter).

i also bought a plant to go in the tank with the fish. it is pennywort. i hope that it is ok with the fish.

yesterday morning i had 3 gr 6 girls run into my classroom in a rush becuase bubbles was bleeding. i went into the classroom and it does seem like he has a little cut by his fin on his belly. i told them that he probably scraped himself on an ornament in the tank and that is what is causing it. i said it should heal up fine and he should be ok. well, this morning he looks a little worse. he is still eating and swimming just fine but i am worried.

can the pennywort be in some way causing a problem? i am starting to worry now that maybe the pennywort is toxic to goldfish. (i had kinderstart today - next year's kindergarten students come in to get used to school - so i didn't have time to research it this morning) i am going to do more research now but i figured if it was safe for other fish it must be safe for goldfish.

anyway, now i am thinking i am going to treat the tank with salt to help heal the cut. how much do i does a 20 gallon tank with? how long do i leave it in there? how often do i do water changes?

thanks for reading my long and rambling post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im not sure about the plant you bought. But just do larger water changes ever day or two to keep the water nice and clean so the cut wont get any infections or complications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would add two-three tablespoons of salt every time you change the water. Goldfish produce a really high amount of ammonia so weekly water changes are needed.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Remove any sharp ornaments for sure. This would be a good lesson on how to take care of a sick goldfish.

Add salt (1 tbsp/10 gal) to the tank for the wound and keep the water clean. I'd go with once a week.

Pennywort is not an issue. It might die off with the salt though.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Was it a wound that was bleeding or was it visible streaks of blood under the skin?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The bad thing is that I live an hour from the school and I can't come in on the weekends to do it. I can't stick around to do it after school much either since I am in a car pool and have to leave when they do. I will do what I can and I will ask the gr 6 teacher to do more water changes. I will add 2 tbsp of salt today. I will try to get the teacher and students to do more.

I can't really tell if it is under the skin or blood flowing out. To me it sort of looks like it is under the skin.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode