Aquascaping tools? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Aquascaping tools?

Obviously, they server value. But can anyone elaborate on specifics?

Why not use regulat scissors and fingers to trim and plant?

I guess I see the kits, just wouldn't understand how to use them?

What is the "recomended" technique for planting..

Finally - any recommended low cost kits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
ebay has a 5 piece set in a fake leather case tha twork quiet well. 30 bux shipped

i plant using the 10-11 inch long tweezers included in that set. i hold the bottom of stem or root and insert into substrate

regular scissors work fine

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I love long scissors and long forceps but don't use any other tools a whole lot. I really couldn't work in the tank without some sort of forceps or tweezers to plant ground covers or stems and some stems/leaves are too tough to pinch off without making a big mess. They don't need to be aquarium specific, just look for stainless steel of reasonable quality in the size you think will be most useful in your tank.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
ebay has a 5 piece set in a fake leather case tha twork quiet well. 30 bux shipped

i plant using the 10-11 inch long tweezers included in that set. i hold the bottom of stem or root and insert into substrate

regular scissors work fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
I love long scissors and long forceps but don't use any other tools a whole lot. I really couldn't work in the tank without some sort of forceps or tweezers to plant ground covers or stems and some stems/leaves are too tough to pinch off without making a big mess. They don't need to be aquarium specific, just look for stainless steel of reasonable quality in the size you think will be most useful in your tank.
I guess I am still confused on the value of the tools for planting compared to "fingers"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
lol when u get to planting long roots or stems that don't have roots.. long tweezers make it MUCH easier.. for non rooted stems they come back out easily until they root.. tweezers have a smaller footprint and disturb the substrate less when pulling back out.

long roots its a lot easier to grab them and take them all the way to the bottom than with fingers

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
An easy way to notice the value difference is try planting a foreground plant with your fingers and then with a pair of pinsettes. Its a huge difference in terms of convenience and efficiency.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
+1 Heartnet! I tried planting a rooted Staurogyne a couple weeks ago and made a mess of it using my fingers. Got the forceps, grabbed the roots and scooped it right in just where I wanted it. Tried to stick a stem in with my fingers, broke the stem and up it came. Got the forceps and down it is staying.

Now I really want to try chopsticks but I don't have any in the house at the moment.

Sneak some eyebrow tweezers from the bathroom and see how much better it works then you will want to go buy your own larger pair.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode