Fish swaps and instore credit. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner
Fish swaps and instore credit.

So I have never done this and just kind of curious about the ettiquette so to speak.

I inherited a 75 Gallon freshwater tank with 3 cichlids (3-5 inches) a parrotfish (5inches) a plecosomaus(<-SP?) (10 inches) and a little bala shark I think.

These fish aren't exactly my cup of tea and I am looking to trade them to an LFS and would like to get some in store credit. I plan to use the tank as a grow out and or breeder tank.

Should I just ask if they will take them and hope they give in store credit or should I just bring it up and ask if they give in store credit for fish trade ins right off the bat. I just don't want to appear pushy. To be honest I just want these fish gone so I can get started putting the tank together the way I want it.

The livestock all appear to be healthy and are eating but I am pretty ignorant when it comes to large fish.

75 Gallon Lowtech
75 Gallon Hightech
10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Farm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When I first did this, I phoned the LFS and asked if they would take my fish and plants. They said, sure, just bring them in. So, I went, expecting to be donating them for nothing. The clerk tallied up what I brought, came back and said I now had fish credits worth $100, or whatever the amount was. No pushiness needed. That LFS is now out of business (probably lost their shirt on my fish!) If I do this again, I will repeat the same process (hoping not to bankrupt the store.)

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Honestly it depends on the fish store and the fish you're trading in. If they have customers who like jumbo fish, then buying ones that are already grown out can be a plus. but if their clients typically want small fish, they won't have a market for yours.

If getting store credit is important, I would just ask them. But if they say no, you may have to just give them the fish for free to get them out of your tank.

good luck!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you really want a return on them, you can probably aqua-bid them and get a decent price.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Couple of local store have sumps with all the big fish that get brought in. It's hard for them to display large aggressive fish and even harder to sell them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner
Yeah I just called what seems to be the nicest LFS in town and he'll take them but I will be donating them. No big thing. It will promote some good karma between me and the owner and I get these things out of my tank so I can do what I want to with them.

75 Gallon Lowtech
75 Gallon Hightech
10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Farm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
When you walk in, be prepared to spend some of the credit. A introduction like, "i've got these (hold up bags) and I'd like to work out a store credit, I'm interested in (point to tank) those or(point to counter) that.

Tell them your looking for a new place to spend your money.

DO NOT babble on about buying stuff on line. Do talk about how you like to support small business. Get on a 1st name basis and come back in, buy a can of fish food once in a while. Have then special order something special, pay the little extra.

REMEMBER When you walk in with lifestock you are an unknown distributor. Expect wholesale valve or less. Your $10 retail African cichlid is not worth $10 to the store, take $2.50 and smile.

Swamp meets - The people that think their common fish are worth their weight in gold, don't sell many fish. Emotion has no place in sales. Establish fair market, drop your price 10%, offer another discount for a "package" deal and move your inventory.

OR...you can become a fish horder
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
[QUOTE=DogFish;1549297

Tell them your looking for a new place to spend your money.

DO NOT babble on about buying stuff on line. Do talk about how you like to support small business. Get on a 1st name basis and come back in, buy a can of fish food once in a while. Have then special order something special, pay the little extra.

[/QUOTE]

All you really need to do is just buy stuff. Any store open for more than a week would see right through everything else. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode