Where in the house? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Where in the house?

I am just wondering - where do you have your tank[s] set up and what are they on? Nano tanks can go almost anywhere, but the larger tanks,with all the weight? Where do you put them and how do you know the stand and flooring will hold it.My husband keeps telling me the floor will not hold any more tanks,but I just have one 75 gallon in my living room.Maybe his way of trying to stop me from getting the 125 gallon. I have seen pictures of tanks on everything from furniture to Kitchen counters to sitting on floors.My tank is on a store bought stand,looks nice,not well built,doors on it coming lose.So where is your tank and what is it on, homemade or store bought or other??:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Mine is in the dining room against a wall on a store bought stand that was was made to fit the tank.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have only one tank but it is a doozy. 8 feet long on one short wall in the living room opposite the fireplace. The floor is concrete slab and covered with ceramic tile. Good thing, I slop all over when I play in the tank. Carpet would have been ruined fast. Stand is store bought of plywood and particle board and not in particularly good shape but is shimmed to dead level.

Wouldn't the height of the tank determine the load on the floor? Longer wider tanks would cover more floor but wouldn't be adding more pounds per square foot to the floor's load. As long as the increased width crosses another joist seems like it would be fine for the floor. No expert here, just somebody who always wants a bigger tank!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
8 foot tank....drool

This was a concern for me when I set up my 90. Lucky for me my basement is unfinished, so I just went and looked at the construction of the flooring where I wanted to put the tank. Just so happens there's a 4x12 beam in the perfect spot, and the floor joists run perpendicular to the length of my tank, the tanks not going anywhere. An exterior wall will have the best support for your tank, it's almost right on top of the block. Like I mentioned, joists running perpendicular to your tank will spread the weight better, so that is something to consider as well.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Mine is in the dining room against a wall on a store bought stand that was was made to fit the tank.

Mine is in the dining room as well, and also on a store bought stand.

FISH.. its a lifestyle not an addiction.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Breeding guppies since '05
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
My kids have 10g on their dressers.
there is a 29g on a counter top in my wifes classroom
a 55g on a store bought stand in my wifes (home) office
and a 125g on store bought stand in my living room

Semper Fi
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

basement fish room for most of mine---on home made stands, store bought stands and repurposed wall cabinets. I am working on a rack with racks bought from Home Depot. Also building my 180g into a wall. I do have two smaller tanks upstairs in the living room. One on either side of the fireplace on top of the built in cabinets ( 7.5g cube and 12g long ).
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I have my 150g on an interior wall in our 2nd story apartment.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have 2 30 gallon tanks on an iron store bought double-decker stand. These are one of the 'living-room' type spaces in my first floor apartment positioned against a foundation wall. My other tank is a 6 gallon Fluval Edge sitting atop a metal cabinet from IKEA.

I have had larger tanks in the past- generally I try to position them along exterior/foundation walls of the house- if I am able to, I scope out the floor joists from below and verify that the weight of the tank will be distributed over more than one.

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
I have my 150g on an interior wall in our 2nd story apartment.
This is awesome. You must have a cool landlord.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Mark Twain
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How about 2 tanks in 1 room? Has anyone done that? I now thinking of getting another 75 gallon and I want to put it in the living room across the room from the 75 I already have.It would be 2 -75 gallon tanks, one on each side of the room. My husband thinks I'm nuts for even thinking of getting anther tank. I wonder if the floor would hold that much.The downstairs is a finished room,and the ceiling tiles are glued on by the previous owner - so we cannot see the floor joists.Is it possible or am I crazy like my husband says?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i have my 55 gallon tank on a custom built stand with my 5 gallon under it, my 29, 20, and one of my 10's are on a custom made stand that holds them all, and my other 2 10's are on dressers.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

I have a townhouse, and have a 30 gal, a 90 gal and a 125 gal tank in the living room area. They are all set up so they span the maximum number of floor joists.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
oh and those are all upstairs in my room.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW!! So maybe another 75 gallon would be possible! The 75 I have already is on the outside weight-bearing wall,crossing several joists.Where I want to put another 75, it would use some of the same floor joist as the other tank.It would be by an interior supporting wall. I am amazed that floors are holding up to the "abuse" that we put on them with our tanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode