KH and GH rising with no apparent cause - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question KH and GH rising with no apparent cause

I have set up a fresh new tank with EC substrate, Large piece of driftwood, some rocks (2 red with translucent white bands and 3 yellowish stones picked up at the beach - see pic below). My tank filter has ceramic pre-filter rings media (specified as inert), fluval peat fiber and fluval ceramic biomax bio media. I have a light plant load as most of my plants are gaining in size. The only other solids are the bio-balls in my CO2 reactor but these are plastic.
THE PROBLEM:
KH and GH keep going up.
Within 7 days my KH rose from 5.04dKH to 6.16dKH and my GH rose from 15.68dGH to 19.04dGH.
TROUBLESHOOTING:
I got some Muriatic Acid from HD (boy this stuff is strong!). I took one of my red rocks, one of the yellowish ones and a piece of the ceramic Biomax filter media and threw it in there. No reaction what-so-ever. The only other piece of rock in the tank is the slate weight screwed into the drift wood which is buried in EC. The pic below shows the rocks in my tank. The red ones are bordering driftwood ends and the yellow ones are sitting right on top of it as counter weights.

QUESTION:
What else can cause this strange behavior?

Raf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
im going out on a limb on this but I've heard ph and KH fluctuation with EC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sausage
QUESTION:
What else can cause this strange behavior?
I'll second Marc's comment. I got the same problem in my tank. KH went from 6.7 to 10.8, GH from 11.2 to 13.4. The good news is that after a few water changes it will come down and stabilize. It may not be as low as your original value, but it will get there eventually.
Mine levelled of at KH 8.4, Gh remained at the 13.4. Last two water changes were done using RO, KH now at 5.0, Gh at 8.9.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hmm.... I haven't come across anything like that while researching substrates...

edit1 after andyq comment: wow this would confirm it as I just set this tank up a little over a week ago. My KH went down to 5.04 after todays water change.
I hope you are right.

Thanks a bunch!

Raf
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:20 AM

Here's the link to my tread when I posed the question a little over a month ago.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13738
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks again andy... I guess I'm freaking out over nothing then.

Raf
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sausage
thanks again andy... I guess I'm freaking out over nothing then.
Your welcome. The only thing you should watch for in the near future is the nutrient levels. Get some fast growing stem plants in there and don't starts ferts until KH & GH stabilize.
I think the increase in level of CA, MG & iron ( mine actually went over 1ppm )along with starting PMDD dosing too early contributed to my GW episode.

BTW, love the layout of your tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM

I had the same thing with my Eco-complete, dont worry, a few water changes will sort it out. And when you do, just make the make-up water a little weaker to compensate.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ran a UVS for the past week so no green water but plenty of green and brown algae.

Raf
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 PM

I have a 75 gallon tank with EC and my GH/KH both raised when I tested water from the tank. Sounds like from other posts that after some water changes this should correct itself. I sure hope!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode